First thing to install after installing Windows 7?

da233

Limp Gawd
Is it best to immediately install your anti-virus program first, or should I first install all Windows Updates first, and THEN install the anti-virus program?

Also... is there any other "essential" things I should install after that?

I do essential drivers first...chipset/motherboard, drive controller if separate, video, sound, NIC. Then MS Office, then all Microsoft Updates (Windows 'n Office).

Then I get my antivirus, and go onto other things...java, flash, other essentials.

I tend to trust the main vendors download sites to be clean downloads for the drivers, same for Microsoft Updates..so I'm not worried about being "bit" by malware since I go directly to those sites, no casual surfing or other things until after the AV is on. The installs go a bit quicker before the AV is on.

For me

Windows installed:

0. Windows update (dont install vid drivers(
1. Chipset drivers
2. Vid card drivers
3. sound card drivers
4. Printer drivers
then i move to programs

1. winrar
2.MSE
3. spybot S6D
4. office 2007
5. Steam
6. Pidgin / Skype

then from there i install as i need it

I usually hit the AV first, but I don't really think it's that big a deal.

before a fresh install I try to download chipset drivers, video drivers and the lastest versions of any programs, to include MSE. Then after the install is finished I hit all the drivers starting with chipset, software starting with my antivirus (MSE these days) and on to other software such as winrar, winamp, and codecs for video playback.

usually, I leave the AV last because the amount of updates required & reboots.

What AV are you using? MSE updates everything on first time use. It only takes less than a minute on broadband. No reboot required.

Me, I install Windows 7, then nForce driver, then Catalyst video, then Office 2007, then Microsoft Update.

Then I let MS Update update Windows and Office. Microsoft Update will update the rest of my drivers as well.

Then I install MSE, Flash, Adobe Reader, Firefox (I use both IE8 and Firefox equally) and Windows Live Essentials (Live Messenger, Live Writer, and Photo Gallery)

Everything else gets installed when I need to use them.

Azhar,

I follow a very similar process. Drivers, OS updates, constant use applications (Office, FireFox, etc). Then install AV and other applications as the need arises.

lol... I think you are thinking about it to hard. It doesn't matter.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034572698&postcount=2

Am I the only one who gets
(username), you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
when clicking this link? My account isn't disabled in any way.

Anywho, first thing I do is install chipset and drivers. Then I run Windows Update to get any updates and other/outdated drivers. After that, I install programs/games (including Office, at which point I run Windows Update again). Then I install internet-related stuff like Flash, Shockwave, Java, Silverlight (if it's not already installed), and Adobe Reader.

Last edited:
Here's my general routine:

1. Install Windows
2. Hit up Windows Update (Drivers first, all other updates after)
3. Any other drivers I may need (newer vid drivers, etc)
4. Firefox
5. Microsoft Security Essentials
6. Ccleaner
7. WinRAR
8. Everything else, in no particular order.

One thing I away have problems with are codecs. What are the best codecs that people are using now days that covers everything?
Also,how do I backup the auto populate that my computer saves? example: I like that my computer will save all the subjects or email addresses I type in. Or I can see what past things I have googled or whatever. How do I save that?

One thing I away have problems with are codecs. What are the best codecs that people are using now days that covers everything?
Also,how do I backup the auto populate that my computer saves? example: I like that my computer will save all the subjects or email addresses I type in. Or I can see what past things I have googled or whatever. How do I save that?

For Win7 you don't need codec packs. Win7 can do just about anything.

The only codec I install is Haali Splitter for MKV support and CoreAVC for CUDA acceleration.

For Win7 you don't need codec packs. Win7 can do just about anything.

The only codec I install is Haali Splitter for MKV support and CoreAVC for CUDA acceleration.

+1,000,000

Leave the crappy K-Lite and CCCP crap to die along with your XP installation. Just use what Azhar mentioned above and the built-in Windows Media Player.

Back