First sysadmin interview - tips?

WalkedAirplane

Limp Gawd
So I've been acting systems administrator of a website for some time, but part time. I've also been working as a data center tech for a bit.

I recently threw my resume into 3 sysadmin positions available, and within 24hrs I've got two responses, not too bad on that front.

I've never had an issue interviewing, ever - I do quite well typically, but obviously I have not ever interviewed for a systems admin position, nor have I held the position in a "proper" sense before.

What do I expect? Any tips or suggestions? I know I do not know everything, but I do plan to illustrate that I know my way around, can hold my own, and know how to approach problems very very well, and that I can find a solution when I dont know one already.

Anything beyond this? A big one I imagine based on what I've seen is to demonstrate that I'm very good at communicating with people, on both a technical and social level.

But what else? Any big tips I should be aware of? I believe my resume is very solid, my references kick ass, and I interview well, but I'd like to make sure I'm solid :)

Yeah, one question I definitely intended was to ask about their stance on pushing funds into better technologies for the jobs that need to be done - absolutely.

Unfortuantely, due to time constraints I will not have a chance to call around and talk to anyone there, its all going to be based on their website.

Thanks for the input, more is quite welcome :)

Is this a technical interview? When we (my team and I) do the technical interview we grill people based on what they've put on their resume. Are you prepared to talk, in depth, about most, if not all, of the bullet points you put on your resume? Even items you put on there as filler may be fair game.

One thing I personally prefer, when doing the interviews is this. If you don't know the answer, just say you don't know. Bumbling and stumbling around the answer isn't going to help.

Relax.

Arch said:
One thing I personally prefer, when doing the interviews is this. If you don't know the answer, just say you don't know. Bumbling and stumbling around the answer isn't going to help.

I think this is key and one of the reasons I got my job. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know, but I'm very eager to get a chance to learn". So much of this industry is the constant learning. No one knows it all.

Update:

Interview done. I think I nailed it pretty well. I should have a phone call in the next day or so to let me know. I shall keep this thread updated as I'm sure some of you are dying to know the conclusion to this story. ;)

Confidence, knowledge in your area, and confidence in your skills.

You nail that - you shouldn't have a problem getting the job.

WalkedAirplane said:
Update:

Interview done. I think I nailed it pretty well. I should have a phone call in the next day or so to let me know. I shall keep this thread updated as I'm sure some of you are dying to know the conclusion to this story. ;)

dont forget to send a thank you letter. just icing on the cake ;)

Oh I knew that, I sent the letter right after, and called to followup today.

We've got a meeting tomorrow at 11:30 to discuss pay and benefits. Go go me.

Well I was talking to my HS network admin today (i just graduated) and he was kind of quizzing me on admin stuff..questions etc..and he then told me to ask him the same questions. instead of just answering like I did...he asked questions to gain more information and make a better decision. So I learned from this that you really have to think and always ask questions, it never hurts!

Arch said:

That is one of the big points my boss made to me when he hired me. He told me that if I ever didn't know something don't try to bs that I do and screw it up. Being honest is really a good way to go. Hell I get word perfect questions from one of our clients all the time. I tell them up front if I can't answer it I don't know but can look it up and tr to get them an answer. They seem to respect that answer.

Nice job!

I agree that the best thing I've found is to never lie or exaggerate your resume in IT. You can bullshit your way through many fields, but not so much in IT. If on your second day on the job as a sys admin you are told to build an app server or a domain controller in 4-6 hours, you'd better be able to do it if you said you could.

TrueBuckeye said:
Nice job!

I agree that the best thing I've found is to never lie or exaggerate your resume in IT. You can bullshit your way through many fields, but not so much in IT. If on your second day on the job as a sys admin you are told to build an app server or a domain controller in 4-6 hours, you'd better be able to do it if you said you could.

QFT. Don't do this.

Back