firewall solution

HAF72

1337 :)
Hello all, i want to get a firewall for the home network , secure :).. I plan to build a pc for it.. but not sure what software to use.. seems like pfsense is the best/ easy to use to me.. Well my questions are which ones are easy to use? Which ones prevent DoS attack and stuff? Also my dad has a hardware vpn connect to router so he can connect to work, so i am wondering if the firewall will have any conflict with it? Thanks!

Untangle here. I don't think for what it does it could get any easier.

http://www.untangle.com/

wow it exactly meets all my needs too :eek: thanks for the link!!! Ok another question is, since i need to NIC port, dsl to pc then pc to router... can i use the onboard nic for say dsl to onboard nic then have a pci nic for the out going to the router? Thanks!!

Ok now i thought up on something, network card drivers.. how will i know what network card(pci) will be supported by untangle? Thanks!

wow it exactly meets all my needs too :eek: thanks for the link!!! Ok another question is, since i need to NIC port, dsl to pc then pc to router... can i use the onboard nic for say dsl to onboard nic then have a pci nic for the out going to the router? Thanks!!
Depends on the LAN chip type. Go for an intel integrated NIC and stay away from Realtek.

I've had pretty decent luck with Untangle and NIC drivers. I've been using cheap netgear NICs and they have all worked so far. YMMV. :D

Back