Firewall question...

jamezzz122

Supreme [H]ardness
Well this is my first network ever and it is for my home...

I was wondering do I need a firewall fro my main computer which is connected directly to the cable modem and router or do all the comptuers need a firewall...Is it better for each to have one?

Originally posted by jamezzz122
Well this is my first network ever and it is for my home...

I was wondering do I need a firewall fro my main computer which is connected directly to the cable modem and router or do all the comptuers need a firewall...Is it better for each to have one?

Every computer that has a public IP address needs a firewall. When you have more than one computer with a public IP address, the general best practice is to have a separate system that acts as a firewall, sitting between the modem and all the computers.

Try going

Cable modem ----> Router (with firewall and NAT translation -----> computers (With software firewalls + antivirus).

Originally posted by skritch
Every computer that has a public IP address needs a firewall. When you have more than one computer with a public IP address, the general best practice is to have a separate system that acts as a firewall, sitting between the modem and all the computers.

Alright so I will have all computers have a firewall...So if one computer gets "hacked", all of them would huh?

Wait, so everyone computer on the network has a different IP?

What is the best firewall out now?

If your running the cable modem then router and then all the other machines then they should have in internal IP and not a public IP. Thats what the router does. IE: Run ipconfig and note your machines IP then go to http://www.whatismyip.com and that will show your public IP they should be different. The router running a NAT firewall will stop most little things (kids playing).

As for if one computer gets hacked all of them will.. Once they are in the network they can go where they want.

Yes every computer has a different IP. It's like your home address or phone number.

Best firewall out now.. Well depends on what you are looking for. There are many software firewalls and then there are different levels of hardware firewalls. Your router should be running NAT so it's a low level firewall ands most feel that is fine for most homes.

Back