Firefox proxy - how to make it work for only a specific window/tab/site?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I sometimes remote into my house to check up on stuff, and once I setup some basic web based home automation stuff, I'll be doing it more often. To make it secure, what I do is just start a SSH tunnel to my house, and use the local host as a proxy, using the proxy I can then type in "local" URLs and they'll resolve and load. Problem is, if I set a proxy it's global to all existing firefox sessions. Is there a way I can set it for only a specific session? I could use IE for all the work stuff and use Firefox only for home stuff, but I like tabbed browsing, I already have about 20 windows opened due to the nature of my work, so I try to open stuff in firefox so I can take advantage of tabbing.

I probably should have googled this before asking. Just found an extension called autoproxy. It's not EXACTLY what I wanted but it will serve the same purpose. I can specify URLs to go to a specific proxy. So all the home stuff I can send to the SSH tunnel proxy server localhost and as long as my tunnel is up, I'm good.

I would use a USB stick with Firefox portable for tunneled, non-work related browsing. Separation of church and state so to speak.

Back