Firefox Acting Slow

r-486

Gawd
My browser, Firefox, has been acting very slowly lately. In the task manager, my CPU, Athlon 3200+ Venice, usage frequently spikes up while using the browser. Currently I’m using the most updated version, that is, 2.0.0.4. I’ve noticed some sites act particularly strange such as maps.google.com and allmusic.com and others.

I’ve already done all the “about:config” settings to speed it up such as pipelining, nglay.initialpaint.delay, etc.

I’m thinking it may be the many extensions that I use. I’ve uninstalled many of the extensions that I hardly use.

Here’s a list of the ones I currently use:

Right now I’m simultaneously using Opera and Firefox, but it’s quite awkward. I noticed Opera is much faster, but it’s pain to browse without the useful extensions.

Is there any way to clean or speed up Firefox?

I think the cause may have something to do with JavaScript.

When I reply to a thread, I have to use a text editor to come up with a message. I then copy and paste it into the “reply to thread” box.

If I manually type into the box, the characters come up very slowly.

The site, maps.google.com, acts extremely weird and slow.

Do these two interfaces have something in common that I’m not aware of, and is it JavaScript?

Many add-ons you have. Simplify, you must.

Seriously though, I had about half as many a few months back. Got rid of everyone except for three - ran much faster.

Also, try defragging, clearing Temp files from C, and "Cleaning Up" listings from your Firefox Downloads window.

Seriously though, I had about half as many a few months back. Got rid of everyone except for three - ran much faster.

Also, try defragging, clearing Temp files from C, and clearing file listings from your Firefox Downloads window.

I agree, you have a lot of extensions. (I was in this thread yesterday but I couldn't view a larger image of the picture for some reason) Cut back on some extensions and see if that makes any difference.

Also, try defragging, clearing Temp files from C, and "Cleaning Up" listings from your Firefox Downloads window.

I do maintenance on a weekly basis (CCleaner, O&O Defrag, ClamWin, Ad-Aware, SpybotSD, etc.). I highly doubt that’s the problem. In general, I keep my computer in good shape.

I had about twice as many extensions before, and it was working much quicker.
I’m thinking it’s something else, but I’ll uninstall all extensions to see what happens.

Well, I never uninstalled the extensions, but I temporarily disabled all of them. It’s running much quicker.

Perhaps one or two of the extensions are causing the problem and not just all of them. I’ll do some testing.

It runs lightning quick with all the extensions disabled.:eek: If anyone knows any resource intensive extension that’s causing the problem, let me know.

I’m still testing enabling and disabling extensions.

The extension, zoomFox, doesn't work for me. The extension, Image Assistant, is the closest thing I could find to my liking.

The extension, Image-Show-Hide, is a good one I found. It disables images with the click of a button. With no stupid images, browsing is fast as shit.

Back