Firefox 3.6 Personas Fix

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to guess that you just updated to Firefox 3.6 and you're really happy with how fast it is. However, if you're like me, you're probably really mad at the fact that personas only work on the default theme in FF 3.6. I've found a way to put personas on your favorite FF theme (not the default) while still being able to use FF 3.6.

1. Download and install Version 1.4 of the Personas Add-on

2. Before you restart, change the FF theme to your favorite one.

3. Once you restarted with your favorite theme, you should be able to mouse over the personas and they should appear on your favorite theme.

4. When you find a persona you like and click "wear it", the Persona add-on and FF 3.6's built-in persona support will conflict. It will try to install the persona like it normally does by putting it in the themes section under add-ons and it will ask you to restart your browser. Ignore this buy selecting your current theme by clicking "Use theme". If you did this properly, you shouldn't need to restart Firefox.

5. At first the persona won't show up, but once you close the add-ons Window, it should show.

6.Congratulations! You're now using your favorite theme and a persona at the same time, just like you used to be able to.

Until Mozilla realizes that taking out support for putting personas on all themes there will always be a conflict with Firefox 3.6 and the Persona 1.4 add-on so you will have to repeat this every time you change your persona. I advice against updating the add-on until they've put support back in for other themes.

Keep in mind that the current version of the Personas add-on works the same as FF 3.6's support, meaning you can only have a persona with the default theme. Just make sure you stay on Personas 1.4 (1.5.1 is the current version) and you should be fine until Mozilla resolves this.

I hope this helps any one who's just as frustrated as me. Post any questions you have. I come on Hardforum a lot so you're question should be answered pretty quickly

Update (1/23 @ 11:08PM): This applies after you have the Personas add-on installed and decide to change your theme. After you install the theme of your choice (or just want to change the theme) make sure you disable the Personas add-on before you restart to switch the theme. After you've restarted FF, go back to the add-ons and re-enable the Personas add-on. After you restarted after re-enabling the Personas add-on you should see the Persona that was previously on top of the theme you were using earlier. If you decide to change your persona again on your current theme, repeat steps 3-6 in the original post.

Last edited:
I thought personas are replacing Themes?
No, they originally were able to run on top of your favorite theme. Many people were angry with the fact that they couldn't anymore with FF 3.6 and were forced to put it only on top of the default theme. The newest Personas add-on version (1.5.1) works the same as FF 3.6, meaning you can only run it on top of the original theme. Personas 1.4 is the most current version that allows you to put personas on top of other themes. If you look at recent reviews of the Persona add-on, many people are angry and have said that version 1.5 and above only support the default theme.

This doesn't seem to work with the Chromifox Basic theme I'm using. :(

Last edited:
This doesn't seem to work with the Chromifox Basic theme I'm using. :(
Raally? You should double-check to make sure. Right now I'm running the Mozilla Firefox persona on top of the Stratini Padded theme in FF 3.6.
Update: You're right, it doesn't seem to work with Chromifox Basic, however, I did get it to work in the Chromifox Extreme theme. I hope this helps. Check the original post, I added some things.

Last edited:
I installed Personas 1.4.
Switched to my Chromifox Basic theme.
Restarted.
Selected a Persona.
Choose Use Theme for Chromifox.
Closed the Add-on window.
Still only seem Chromifox theme without a Persona.

I repeated this a few times with no luck.
Then things went bad. I decided to go back to Personas 1.51.
After that, I couldn't install any new Personas. Nothing would happen when I clicked on a new one (but could still use the ones that were already installed).
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Personas 1.51, but no luck.
Ended up having to uninstall Firefox, delete my profile, and reinstall Firefox.

I tried your steps again with a fresh install, but it still didn't work. Though this time around when I went back to Personas 1.51, I was still able to install new Personas this time, that didn't break again.

I installed Personas 1.4.
Switched to my Chromifox Basic theme.
Restarted.
Selected a Persona.
Choose Use Theme for Chromifox.
Closed the Add-on window.
Still only seem Chromifox theme without a Persona.

I repeated this a few times with no luck.
Then things went bad. I decided to go back to Personas 1.51.
After that, I couldn't install any new Personas. Nothing would happen when I clicked on a new one (but could still use the ones that were already installed).
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Personas 1.51, but no luck.
Ended up having to uninstall Firefox, delete my profile, and reinstall Firefox.

I tried your steps again with a fresh install, but it still didn't work. Though this time around when I went back to Personas 1.51, I was still able to install new Personas this time, that didn't break again.
It seems like you just missed my update I added to the post right above you (I added it about 3 minutes after you posted this). Chromifox Extreme does work (not Chromifox Basic, it must be something with the theme) with the steps I provided (I tested it, in fact I'm using it right now with a persona on top of it). I think your forgetting that with Personas 1.5.1 and the built-in FF support for personas, you only see a persona when you mouse over it only if you're using the default Strata theme. I hope this helps.

Back