Finished First Mod (Before and After)

ElToro

Limp Gawd
I just finished my first mod that I did over the boring x-mas break I had. Basically I repainted the case black, made 4 cut-outs for 80mm fans (2 on right panel, 2 on the backboard by the pci slots), cut out and put a window on the left panel, and added red LEDs wherever I could.

Before pics
131-3115_IMG_Large.jpg

100_0021_Large.jpg

After pics
102_0218_Large.jpg

100_0036_Large.jpg

100_0043_Large.jpg

101_0192_Large.jpg

102_0213_Large.jpg

No Flash

102_0216_Large.jpg

101_0194_Large.jpg

So, what do you guys think?

Sweeeeet :cool: :D.

Edit: That window molding was a pain in the ass. Sorry about the scratches :(.

I like it:) Black and red go nicely together.

I think you should stealth your sunbeam though like I did;)

fa023bd7.jpg

Very nice, very nice. I like the window design.

I also see you have a pair of Grado's. Great cans.

AWESOME

i want to change the fronts of my cdroms but iv got a brushed aluminum case so thats kind of hard. Any ideas?

Thaddy howd you do that? Or did your case come with those (the CD rom fronts)?

lol, I'm wondering the exact same thing. Interesting placement of the hard drives. That case is quite cool, after all your mods, of course. ;)

Good job.

Well like the old saying goes....a picture is worth a 1000 words, so here's a shot of the back of the computer. As you can see the PSU is located vertically next to the harddrive rack, with the large 92 mm intake fan on the PSU sucking air from the hd rack.

102_0221_Large.JPG

The harddrive rack comes standard with the case and can fit supposedly up to 6 hd's.

Oh, and another interesthing thing about this case (main reason why I bought it) is that there is room on the front bezel for 2 120mm fans. So, after all my mods I have 2-120, 2-80 intakes... 1-120, 1-92, 2-80, and the PSU for outakes.

If you are interested, this is where I orginally got the case from, and some additional pictures of mods that can be done to the case. http://www.coolcases.com/cases/sr104_m_p1.html .

Taddy, how exacly did you stealth your sunbeam? I assume that you disassembled the whole thing and just reattached the guts to a bay cover.

if i didnt already have a dhttle, id have that case... looks really nice.. lots of room.

That's awesome... I'd take that case over 95% of the cases that can be bought :cool:

Only thing I'd do different is not put fan grills on the inside... I only use grills on the outside of the case. Figure it helps airflow a tiny bit, which over the course of time adds up.

I've never seen that case before... the modding potential was definitely there and it definitely came out real well. Only question: Will you be able to get by with only one floppy disk drive? :rolleyes:

That case kicks ass, difference is like night and day. That red stripe is pretty stylish too. Excellent

Nice paint job. Always good to see people paying as much attention to the paint on the inside of the case as the out side.
Keep up the good work. Oh yes and what base model case was that. I like the side mounted PSU. Good choice.

You didn't have pictures of the intake fans. 2x 80mm?

Originally posted by kill_emma
you rich mother fucker. care to share the wealth :D

Actually I'm a poor collage student, but isn't it amazing what you can buy on a strict Ramen diet?

The case is a Chenbro Genie (SR-1040X), and is designed as a server tower. The egg use to carry them, but doesn't seem to anymore...... Anyways, it's a very well built case, strong as hell. It cost me around $170 with shipping when I got it over 3 years ago.

CompMag: The 2 80mm intake fans I mounted on the right side panel, next to the drive bays. Here's a pic of the 2-120 intake fans in case you were wondering that also

102_0226_Large.JPG

Oh and benny I didn't have 2 floppy drives before.....it was worse...a slow ass zip drives.

That is a really sweet mod.

What did you use to cut the case?

Also, how did you make that etching on your window? It's just awesome.

Originally posted by Jawadali
That is a really sweet mod.

What did you use to cut the case?

Also, how did you make that etching on your window? It's just awesome.

I used Black and Decker's "dremel" to cut out the windows and fan holes. Got it for $40 and Home Depot, does 30,000 RPMs and accepts all regular dremel bits.

As far as the etching, it's laser etched that I had ordered from Koolpcmods . It's one of their standard images, and I got it when they had their new year's sale for like $16. Nice thing about that site, is that they also do custom etches if you just send them an image.

I love this case, I have one myself Im going to be modding over the next few weeks. =). What did you use to paint it? I want to paint my case, but do it to where it wont scratch off easily, I want it to be tough. Im not painting mine black, so it wont be as noticable as yours if it does get scratched... anyways... anyone have any suggetions on painting the metal, and on painting the plastic?

For the metal i used regular krylon spray paint, and for the plastic i used plastic-kote vinyl color

Im assuming you took the case apart before painting it? Or did you? I want to get a flawless paintjob on the inside and out of mine because what Im doing with it anything bad will show up easily. I have to drill out the rivets, do my work on it, then replace all rivets with small nuts and bolts... right? Thats my game plan.

I've got one of those too!!! How much room is there by the pci slots for adding/removing cards with those 80's there????

Well....those 80's just barely fit, so there really isn't room to take cards in and out with out removing the 80's first, but I really don't plan on moving stuff around for a while (at least I hope)

Yea, I took most of my case apart to paint it, but I didn't take any of the rivets out, since I really didn't have access to a drill. As far as teh nuts and bolts, I've heard from my roommate that you can get a rivet gun and some rivets for surprisenly not TOO much, but then agian simple bolts would be only a few cents. When I painted the inside, I just painted it over once, since yuo really wouldn't be able to see it anyways, and I think the inside turned out much nicer than what I expected.

Did you get a new plate for the audigy 2 or did you dye it and then reproduce the lettering on some clear adhesive like shown here

Back