• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

File Formats

coastertux

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
311
Should I rip my CD's at regular or VBR MP3's? What bitrate is the best for putting on a portable player? What VBR MP3 bitrate = 128 regular?
 
If you aren't going to go lossless, I'd use Lame 3.90.3 [supposedly the best build so far] and rip them using --alt-preset standard for the command line option. This will give you very high quality VBR files, averaging 210ish Kbps, at least for me. Also, if you don't already know about it, use EAC to rip, it's better than all the other crap rippers out there [CDex isn't bad at all, though]

BO(V)BZ
 
Originally posted by coastertux
Should I rip my CD's at regular or VBR MP3's? What bitrate is the best for putting on a portable player? What VBR MP3 bitrate = 128 regular?
VBR saves file size but has more limited compatibility. Definitely check the documentation for your portable player before ripping and encoding. VBR arguably sounds better, but it varies from song to song, passage to passage. As long as your hardware supports it, go with VBR. Use EAC as the ripper and LAME as the encoder. CDex is another fine alternative.
 
Are there really players that actually cannot play VBR? My el cheapo Apex DVD player could even play VBR mp3s. Anyhow, any halfway recent player SHOULD be able to deal with them, even if they do not display the bitrate correctly.
 
My first MP3 player didn't support VBR. Of course, it was the first commercial MP3 player, the Rio PMP 300, acquired in like 1997 or so. It would sure save some time and headaches to just check first.
 
Originally posted by GodsMadClown
Chris Myden has written a good beginners's guide.

When I try to download the Adapter 1 Config file, the site doesnt respond. Anywhere else I can get the file?
 
When I use EAC, and click the MP3 button it converts my CD to a .wav, not a .mp3. I am using LAME. Also, should I use --alt-preset standard or --alt-preset standard -Y?
 
Back
Top