Fibre Questions

/usr/home

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently am using SM LC SFPs on 9/125 SM Fibre. It's working great. I'm wanting to move to MM LC SFPs due to some hardware incompatibilities. Can you use MM SFPs on SM fiber? I didn't really find an answer by googling. I don't want to run new fiber as it's between my house and garage and it would be a pain to replace.

Also, can fiber handle different wavelengths? The current SFPs are 850nm. Could I use say 1310nm SFPs on the same fiber?

No and depends.

SMF is MUCH smaller than mmf so you will need mmf sfp to get correct alignment. Fiber for the most part is wavelength agnostic, but 850nm is usually used on mmf and led pumped vs 1310nm is used on smf and is generally laser pumped.

Now, my question is what piece of hardware do you have that doesn't like SMF sfp? If the hardware is to spec it should not care if the sfp is mmf or smf.

Well the SFPs I have, my one switch doesn't like. I was wanting to get a known working SFP but can only find a SM 1310nm SFP that is for sure known to be compatible. It's a Mikrotik RB260GS switch.

So it looks like I should be good going with SM 1310nm SFPs on my current SM 9/125 fiber?

Would a media converter be a good fit?

I do have one currently on the one end, but would prefer to consolidate onto just the switch. The SFPs are 20 a piece so it's not a big expense to "do it right" anyways.

Back