Fiber Switch uplink

shinygecko

Weaksauce
I notice that my Cisco switches have 2 fiber GBIC ports on them each and while i have been around networking for quite some time i have never dug that much into fiber. So after some quick googlefu i learned that there is lots of different types and compatibility problems.

The 2 switches i would like to connect are a WS-C3550-12T and a WS-C3550-48-EMI

From what i have read these are 1000-base-fx?

I saw this page showing the types of fiber and got more confused. http://www.cablesandkits.com/fiber-patch-cables-c-282.html

Don't want to purchase the wrong adapters or fiber so some assistance would be greatly appreciated.:D

I notice that my Cisco switches have 2 fiber GBIC ports on them each and while i have been around networking for quite some time i have never dug that much into fiber. So after some quick googlefu i learned that there is lots of different types and compatibility problems.

The 2 switches i would like to connect are a WS-C3550-12T and a WS-C3550-48-EMI

From what i have read these are 1000-base-fx?

I saw this page showing the types of fiber and got more confused. http://www.cablesandkits.com/fiber-patch-cables-c-282.html

Don't want to purchase the wrong adapters or fiber so some assistance would be greatly appreciated.:D

this cable,
FMD5GLCLC01a.jpg

and 2gbic's

[ame="http://cgi.ebay.ca/CISCO-1000BASE-SX-SFP-FIBER-TRANSCEIVER-GLC-SX-MM-GBIC-/220795693820?pt=COMP_EN_Networking_Components&hash=item336872eafc#ht_525wt_1091"]CISCO 1000BASE-SX SFP FIBER TRANSCEIVER GLC-SX-MM GBIC | eBay[/ame]

this >
photo.JPG

Is what i just did this weekend, except on 2 hp pro curves.

No, those are SFP modules. His 3550's need GBICs. Hang on, I'll link.

EDIT:

Here you go.

There are several types but the two most popular the multimode and single mode models. You would probably want multimode for lab purposes.

Last edited:
So then based on what ya have told me there it seems i need 2 WS-G5484 1000BaseSX GBIC's. And then i need a fiber cable that is "sc" on both ends.

Correct?

quick question how far are they apart.

reason being the fiber length limit. if you are below 100m you can take mufti mode cable (generally cheaper) more you need to go to mono mode.

So then based on what ya have told me there it seems i need 2 WS-G5484 1000BaseSX GBIC's. And then i need a fiber cable that is "sc" on both ends.

Correct?

Yes, although there is more to it. Look at that table in the link to see the size of the fiber and be certain you obtain the right type.

Hell, message me your address and I can send you all the multimode fiber you want. I have boxes of it that are just going to be thrown away. I'll throw a couple of strands in an envelope for you.

I already got rid of the gbics. A lot of them were just thrown away.

This is just for a lab right?

Yes this is for a lab and the 2 switches are within the same rack so less than a couple meters. That would be great if ya could spare some, i would greatly appreciate it. I will msg ya the address.

Just for learning more than anything as i have never dealt with fiber.

quick question how far are they apart.

reason being the fiber length limit. if you are below 100m you can take mufti mode cable (generally cheaper) more you need to go to mono mode.

There are actually 2 types of multimode cable -- 50 micron and 62.5 micron. 62.5 micron is much worse and is usually that thicker orange cable. 50 micron comes in aqua or thinner orange cable. You can also read the label on the side of it to tell which one it is. It's not really an issue until you get to 10gig ... 33 meters is short. You will get all kinds of messed up errors (rx power too small, etc) followed by input errors and interface flaps.

1gig:
62.5 micron -- 220 meters max
50 micron -- 860 meters max

10gig:
62.5 micron -- 33 meters max
50 micron -- 300 meters max

Obviously single mode LR optics/cables will get you much further than this, but their glass core is even smaller (down to 8.3 micron).

Back