Fiber Optic Internet Problems

LJ57

2[H]4U
I got fiber optic internet a few weeks ago and since then I can't get it to work on anything except the computer it was initially connected to. When I try to connect it directly to the laptop, I can't get a connection. When I connect it to a Linksys router, no connection to the PC or the laptop via wireless. It seems like it should be easier to change up than this. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this? I can't find much information anywhere on troubleshooting fiber optic internet.

What model router are you using, what modem are you using, are you using DHCP, and when the router is connected, can you get into the router in a web browser?

No modem. It's direct to the network card. I'm using a Linksys Wireless-B router. I can't access the router at all.

I have fiber, I think your problem is that you have to long in to the router that you are trying to use and enter your a PPPoE username and password in to the router then it should work.

Thansk for the help with fixing this. I was able to get into the router setup but I don't have a PPoE to input. Also, I actually don't have a modem at all. The cable runs from an outlet they installed in the wall directly to the network card. I never realized fiber optic would be so complicated. I used to never have problems when I just had a basic cable connection.

If its Verizon FIOS, it does need a username and password, but in my experience, you can put in anything for the password and it'll work. You should be able to find the username somewhere in the network settings on the computer that does work directly plugged into it.

Surewest does their IP based off of your MAC address. try connecting the router and emulating the MAC address of the PC that was orgionally setup.

plug your laptop in and reset the modems power. That should get it running. You will have to do this every time you switch computers. But it should work for you.

Mindriot said:
plug your laptop in and reset the modems power. That should get it running. You will have to do this every time you switch computers. But it should work for you.

Ther is no "modem" on a fiber setup ?

Nope, no modem with the fiber optic I have. The cable goes from an outlet in the wall straight to the network card.

I called customer service and after being put on hold for 45 minutes they told me that the "lease" was for the desktop they installed fiber optic on and if I wanted to change it I wouldhave to let them know so they could release it and switch it to my laptop. for the router they said I just needed to hook it up with the desktop and it would work fine.

I tried it with the router but it's still not working. I'm guessign I have it installed correctly. I plugged the cable coming from the wall into the Internet connector on the router and another cable going from the router to the desktop's network card. I tried resetting the router, releasing and renewing the IP but still no connection.

Yep. No modem is required for fiber to the home. They company will connect the fiber from the pole to a media converter (fiber to Cat5) they usually mount outside somewhere on your house. You plug the Cat5 directly into your router and that is it. I have fiber from BTES.

Still sounds like a MAC issue to me. Here's what you can try: Most routers will have an area where you can change your external mac address. Do that, and change it to your desktop.

See if that works. I bet it does.

I agree with XOR != O and oakfan52.

Look for your Linksys router’s “clone MAC address “ setting in the web interface, then change it to the MAC address of the PC that is currently working.

To find your PC’s MAC address (from XP) click: Start, RUN, CMD, now type in “config--- /all” .

Now look for the line that says something similar to: “Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 01-0E-F2-CE-B3-21”. :)

call them up and give them the MAC address on the bottom of your router. - all routers have their own mac address.

then plug your comp into your router and turn on DHCP on your router and off you go.

the dp the same thing here in CR for the cable connection. lock in the MAC address so you cant just switch around computers, and with router able to emulate mac addy's it is such an outdated procedure to do now a days.

Back