fiber gbic connectors question

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Is gbic a standard, where a certain connector will fit in any other device that has the slot? I'm guessing yes, but just want to make sure.

For example, I have a fabric switch that has all fiber gbics, could I use those in an Ethernet switch, for example?

I'm thinking of selling a mcdata switch and I might keep a couple gbics for myself if they are interchangeable. In the future I'd like to run fiber to my garage next to the electrical run and add a small switch in there, so I'd need two for sure. I'm not too familiar with this technology.

It's a standard for the most part - but interchangeability depends on the equipment for the most part. Our Cisco stuff crys if we don't use Cisco branded SFP's while our Calix stuff will work with about any laser we throw at it.

what about network vs storage fabric, is it still the same thing? What about the patch cable end, would it be different for a network card vs fabric HBA? From what I see there's different standards but you can get adapters right?

what about network vs storage fabric, is it still the same thing? What about the patch cable end, would it be different for a network card vs fabric HBA? From what I see there's different standards but you can get adapters right?

Belive so, and i know that cables are soooo cheap.

Some switches use different ends, i know the one's im setting up in a week use this.

photo.JPG

NO. Fibre Channel SFPs are specific to FC. They will not work in a network switch. Most Cisco network and FC switches will use approved 3rd party SFPs/GBICs but not all...especially the newer Nexus switches.

Cables are the same. Just get LC or SC. Most are LC types but confirm that for your GBIC. You can also mix..cable may be LC on one end and SC on the other.

Ohh ok, that's mostly what I wanted to know, so those gbics I have wont work in a network switch then.

Back