FF7 Crisis Core [PSP] Discussion

contrivance

Limp Gawd
I pre-ordered the game yesterday and I'm anxiously waiting until the end of my work day on Tuesday to pick it up and start playing it. From a huge FF7 fan perspective this game should be awesome: everything I've heard from people that have already played the game is positive, maybe the only thing that people are a little frustrated about is the leveling system, but I'll have to see about that myself. If you're new to the FF7 Compilation or just looking for a good game this should be a great pick up since it's a prequel and will actually help you understand the story a little better if you plan on playing FF7 and watching Advent Children after. Also the 30 hours of game play and high replayability factor adds this to one of the must haves on the PSP.

Once people get a little further into the game we can post gameplay and story discussion here. Just don't forget to add the
tags to prevent suicide. :)

i've got it already but have not played it yet. i'l give it a go later today to see what the fuss is about

I don't have a PSP but I am such a huge fan of the FFVII universe I may go out and buy everything. $168 for a PSP is pretty good.

I'm most of the way through (on the last chapter, I think). I think the reviews out there do it adequate justice. It is a must-buy if you're a PSP RPG fan. There is a New Game+ option, so you can replay it as long as you want (probably until you beat Minerva for most folks).

I'll probably pick this up when I travel in June.. along with GoWCOO

Thus far everything I've heard about it has put it as "average if you really like Final Fantasy, but horrid if you don't."
I have yet to play an FF7 spin-off I liked, so I think I'll be skipping this one. I might break down and get #6 for my DS, though.

My fiancee surprised me with the Pre-Order box in my Easter basket. Anxiously awaiting this as I was about to go dig up my copy of the original to load to a memory stick for my PSP!

have my pre-order waiting for me when get out of work.....I think I'll play it naked.

I think it's pretty good so far. Zack is annoying but that can be overlooked.

I'll probably grab this along with the MGS Collection for the PS2 this weekend. Looks great.

I'll grab this once I get the sweet God of War PSP bundle in June, with the free government money ;)

I'll grab this once I get the sweet God of War PSP bundle in June, with the free government money ;)

Considering how much tax you pay for everything.... its pretty much your money anyways... but yes... Free Gov. Money! :D

Considering how much tax you pay for everything.... its pretty much your money anyways... but yes... Free Gov. Money! :D

Unless you're deployed, then all your income is tax free. :cool: Such will be the case for me in two more months.

I think it's pretty good so far. Zack is annoying but that can be overlooked.
He actually gets more tolerable later on. The romance between him and Aerith is handled nicely, and the interaction between him, Sephiroth, Angeal, and Genesis is extremely good later on.

I picked it up and played it naked for about an hour and I don't like it so far. The intro was cool jumpin off the train like cloud n all but if I wanted to play a action based game i wouldn't play a finalfantasy.

It also has a few things that bother a FF7 fanatic like myself. For instance if Materia was put into wepons in FF7 natural the same would have to apply to Crisis Core, and WTF no weapons... are you fucking serious NO WEAPONS that was one of FF8's huge flaws and they dragged it along into 7. The game pisted me off so bad I had to put my clothes back on.

I'll finish the game for the story and hope that it's good enough to make it worth it.

Thus far everything I've heard about it has put it as "average if you really like Final Fantasy, but horrid if you don't."
I have yet to play an FF7 spin-off I liked, so I think I'll be skipping this one. I might break down and get #6 for my DS, though.

I think you're thinking of Dirge of Cerberus. Crisis Core is getting great impressions and reviews from the media. Scored a 9.0 on GameSpot.

So far I am liking it... have played maybe an hour into the game, finished the first mission and working on the Temple. Seems to be a mix between open combat and RPG. I kinda wish it was still turn based like the original but I will keep playing. So far it has caught my attention.

Wouldn't call myself an FF7 fanatic but I loved FF7 and Advent Children. So I picked up a PSP just for this game, no kidding. I was annoyed in the beginning getting used to the new battle system and the dmw but it grew on me and I must say it was so worth it. Everything in this game just impressed me from the story to the soundtrack (The Price of Freedom). To the guy who said Zack is annoying just keep playing and watch him mature he's a badass in the second half of the game.

Even if you're not an FF fan you should give this game a try because it's just so well done. If you're an FF fan then shame on you for not having this already =)

I think you're thinking of Dirge of Cerberus. Crisis Core is getting great impressions and reviews from the media. Scored a 9.0 on GameSpot.

I was thinking more of XPlay and what my friends have told me. From what I'm reading online, it seems like a Smash Bros. Brawl kind of situation. People seem to overlook the flaws with certain games, and I'm getting a lot of that.

I've been playing a lot of CC since it came out and after I got over the learning curve it's been great.

You start out just mashing X to win because you really aren't taught how to dodge or block but it's crucial later on if you want to survive some of the harder battles.

The DWM slot machine system is interesting but it some times gets in the way. I've been killed a few times in a Very Hard side mission because it went to a cut scene as I was trying to heal then the boss hit me before I could recover and died. Doesn't happen often but be aware of your stats.

I do miss not getting new weapons though.

I finally met Aerith after about 6-8 hours into the game due to all the side missions I've been doing for loot. Really awesome cut scenes and the story is taking shape pretty nicely.

Ok I am going to have to read through the manual again because I dont understand the DMW. I mean I understand that when you get certain combos you get effects (ie status effects, level ups, boosts) but do you control the DMW? If you stop in combat and let the guy beat on you will the DMW slow down? When you go to Modulation Mode, do you control the tickers or do they just randomly stop?

It looks like it's just random. The only way you can affect it is if you unlock more characters through the story. I now have Ifirit and Bahamut as summons through the DMW that I unlocked through side missions.

Certain events can make it trigger more often like having an emotionally charged conversation will pump up your mood and likelyness of a special attack.

It's basically a randomized limit break. I sometimes get more when I get hit by enemies sometimes when I'm whailing away I'll get the good luck special that boosts my mood further.

It's really a gimmick because if you jump into a hard/very hard mission you will level up+more dmw attacks more often but if you take easy missions you get no levels+less dmw attacks. So it's just a graphical trick to show your progression.

the game plays like a prequel to a really good game.......yeah I know.

The game play is broken for me becuase it is missing things that it should have but doesn't and the next game like this probably will have them.

Needs Jump, Dash, Run, Slide, Flip, counter

Also needs to switch from using L and R to the arrow keys for moving between spells and use the analog to move.

Use L for items and R for magic now that the arrows control which one you use.

Nobody likes to use the same damn sword all game, and if you are at least be able to pimp that shit.

The randomness of leveling is RETARDED remove it completely nobody wants to play a slot game in the middle of fighting to decide weather they get to level up or use a whompass move.

In FF7 you got to roam around the world in this one you dont. fuck that. searching the world on a big ass chicken is half of a final fantasy if you ask me (this is 10's biggest flaw).

That should be about it for my whines and crys can't exspect Marry to give birth to two water walkin babies now can I.

The good thing about the game is that it is different and the action/rpg mix works, not the best but it works. This game I think will be a stepping stone for future AAA titles.

and it looks good.......really good makes me think a FF7 remake would be nice on PSP and well as PS3.........since we all know they aren't letting there cash cow out of the farm any time soon.

I picked it up and played it naked for about an hour and I don't like it so far. The intro was cool jumpin off the train like cloud n all but if I wanted to play a action based game i wouldn't play a finalfantasy.

It also has a few things that bother a FF7 fanatic like myself. For instance if Materia was put into wepons in FF7 natural the same would have to apply to Crisis Core, and WTF no weapons... are you fucking serious NO WEAPONS that was one of FF8's huge flaws and they dragged it along into 7. The game pisted me off so bad I had to put my clothes back on.

I'll finish the game for the story and hope that it's good enough to make it worth it.

If you know the story you should know why there are no weapons. I'm suprised there were multiple weapons available for Cloud in FF7.

If you know the story you should know why there are no weapons. I'm suprised there were multiple weapons available for Cloud in FF7.

Nothing in the FF7 world has eluded to any reason new weapons can't be used, and I'm only 2 hours into crisis core and they haven't given a reason for using the same weapon either. Hell they should at least let you unequipped your weapon and go fisticuffs.

Nothing in the FF7 world has eluded to any reason new weapons can't be used, and I'm only 2 hours into crisis core and they haven't given a reason for using the same weapon either. Hell they should at least let you unequipped your weapon and go fisticuffs.

It's not that weapons can't be used. It's just the story of FF7.

On the gamplay side, I got frustrated that there were so many accessories and materia. I'm glad they didn't have me manage too much more. Especially when I'm only dealing with one character on a portable game.

It's not that weapons can't be used. It's just the story of FF7.

On the gamplay side, I got frustrated that there were so many accessories and materia. I'm glad they didn't have me manage too much more. Especially when I'm only dealing with one character on a portable game.

A varitiey of weapons is a plus to most gamers, and customizing your weapon is an even bigger plus.

It's not much more management to go Menu-equip-newSeward

But I guess not everyone likes or wants weapon verity, I just personally think it is a huge chunk missing from the game and it could have been very easily implemented.

also if you don't like the Character management and personalization God of War just came out for the psp and I'm sure you will get a ton less management and a lot more action with that game.

The game play is broken for me becuase it is missing things that it should have but doesn't and the next game like this probably will have them.

Also needs to switch from using L and R to the arrow keys for moving between spells and use the analog to move.

Nobody likes to use the same damn sword all game, and if you are at least be able to pimp that shit.

The randomness of leveling is RETARDED remove it completely nobody wants to play a slot game in the middle of fighting to decide weather they get to level up or use a whompass move.

In FF7 you got to roam around the world in this one you dont. fuck that. searching the world on a big ass chicken is half of a final fantasy if you ask me (this is 10's biggest flaw).

That should be about it for my whines and crys can't exspect Marry to give birth to two water walkin babies now can I.

The good thing about the game is that it is different and the action/rpg mix works, not the best but it works. This game I think will be a stepping stone for future AAA titles.

and it looks good.......really good makes me think a FF7 remake would be nice on PSP and well as PS3.........since we all know they aren't letting there cash cow out of the farm any time soon.

I'm not exactly sure about the others but Crisis Core does have jump and dash and I'm almost certain I saw counter as well. You just need to acquire the materia later on in the game. About the L and R thing I like it the way it is, it's sometimes hard to get to the magic I want such as cure but that's what switching the materia around are for. I usually have cure in the very first slot to have easy access to it. Of course I miss boosting my stats with weapons but it's a non-issue for me. The only thing I'd agree on about the flaws of this game is the randomness of the DMW and the leveling system.

He actually gets more tolerable later on. The romance between him and Aerith is handled nicely, and the interaction between him, Sephiroth, Angeal, and Genesis is extremely good later on.

Agreed. I've advanced to the point where he has met Aerith and the story there along with the story between him, Angeal and Sephiroth is really interesting like you said. This game is great.

I'm not exactly sure about the others but Crisis Core does have jump and dash and I'm almost certain I saw counter as well. You just need to acquire the materia later on in the game. About the L and R thing I like it the way it is, it's sometimes hard to get to the magic I want such as cure but that's what switching the materia around are for. I usually have cure in the very first slot to have easy access to it. Of course I miss boosting my stats with weapons but it's a non-issue for me. The only thing I'd agree on about the flaws of this game is the randomness of the DMW and the leveling system.

Well yeah I'm only 2 hours into the game and don't have the jump, dash, and counter materia yet, but it will make the fighting much better.

Agreed. I've advanced to the point where he has met Aerith and the story there along with the story between him, Angeal and Sephiroth is really interesting like you said. This game is great.
I just beat the game. The ending is fantastic, even if all already knew how it would end (because of FF7).

I definitely recommend watching Advent Children if you liked Crisis Core - it makes some stuff a little more sensible...

just started the and just wondering if I'm stuck with the sword that I have right now... Or at least get to use angeal sword? No? That would really suck if I'm stuck with the ugly sword I have right now :(

just started the and just wondering if I'm stuck with the sword that I have right now... Or at least get to use angeal sword? No? That would really suck if I'm stuck with the ugly sword I have right now :(

From what I have seen and herd you are stuck with that ugly sword the entire game until maybe the end. Yeah I'm wicked pist about it as well.

So basically, you are making complaints and justifications based on 2hrs of play? I am about four hours into it, LOVED FF7, and while this is not the same game it is really starting to grow on me.

Let me re-iterate something....THIS IS NOT THE ORIGINAL FF7!!!
People keep making accusations and arguments basing them on the original, however this is not a port of the original FF7. This is the PREQUEL, which means it WILL BE DIFFERENT.

I love this remark as you say the game is "broken" for you because you don't have XX skill, sorry if I remember correctly you didn't get things like that right away in the original or any of the others so why should this be any different?

So basically, you are making complaints and justifications based on 2hrs of play? I am about four hours into it, LOVED FF7, and while this is not the same game it is really starting to grow on me.

Let me re-iterate something....THIS IS NOT THE ORIGINAL FF7!!!
People keep making accusations and arguments basing them on the original, however this is not a port of the original FF7. This is the PREQUEL, which means it WILL BE DIFFERENT.

I love this remark as you say the game is "broken" for you because you don't have XX skill, sorry if I remember correctly you didn't get things like that right away in the original or any of the others so why should this be any different?

Stop taking people critiques of the game to heart. I understand you are in love with the game and I'm sure you will have very attractive looking children after the condom breaks but seriously your life partner’s gameplay is broken not because it lacks skills like fire and ice but because of the game mechanics like running, Jumping, sliding, dodging, fighting, leveling up and more.....most of this isn't going to get fixed with the new XXskill that you gain later in the game because it’s the way the game was made that is the problem.

I still like the game played it for about 3 hours last night, but the game has many flaws that prevent it from being a great game like almost all its predecessors. So in other words your new husband is just not that good in the sac.

Do I have to throw you a bridal/baby shower now?

Do I have to throw you a bridal/baby shower now?

LOL..... after that comment you are lucky you are still invited! Now you definitely have to pay for the shower...(sorry not the bride here:D)

Sorry SteveDave but it just seems that you are looking for something in the game that is just not part of it and thus critiquing (negatively) based on that fact. That would be like me being pissed off the my 4x4 3.0l V6 doesnt get the gas mileage of a small I4 Honda. Sorry it just aint there... and it wasnt there in the original FF7.

No go home to your WoW and stick it in the USB port. :p

LOL..... after that comment you are lucky you are still invited! Now you definitely have to pay for the shower...(sorry not the bride here:D)

Sorry SteveDave but it just seems that you are looking for something in the game that is just not part of it and thus critiquing (negatively) based on that fact. That would be like me being pissed off the my 4x4 3.0l V6 doesnt get the gas mileage of a small I4 Honda. Sorry it just aint there... and it wasnt there in the original FF7.

No go home to your WoW and stick it in the USB port. :p

Yes sir

Your analgy doesn't work very well. It's like I bought a Final Fantasy and got something else. It would be like you buying a 4x4 3.0i V6 and open the hood and there is a 1.5 honda fit engine in there. Like ordering a Female whore and getting a male one or ordering a #6 and the little bitch behind the counter gives me a god damn fish sandmich which isn't a #6. It's like the Virgin Marry she spent all that time not getting fucked just to get fucked by having kid. Or the little kid who wants to be a cop and grows up to be a cop and realizes the job blows.

I just added most that the for effect and scotch.

but all in all the game is good just square could have done tons better had they wanted too and I'm going to let them know.....ok maybe not let them know but I am going to let someone know.

But you also have to take into consideration that I like scotch... scotch scotch sotch.

From what I have seen and herd you are stuck with that ugly sword the entire game until maybe the end. Yeah I'm wicked pist about it as well.
that's friggin sucks.. :( all i can say, but i still play the game for the sake of the FF7 story...

Back