Few Questions Windows Server 2003

p0lish

Gawd
Just a few questions. Right now i have a basic network at home setup with a linksys router/wireless AP/additional switch/cable modem. This works pretty well, but i decided i could use a server to store some backup files and do various other tasks. I obtainted a copy of win2k3 through school and truely dont know how to use it yet. I have been researching for quite awhile and was hoping for help. My goal is to have the server be a DHCP server, file server, and firewall. I have two NICs installed, and my guess was connect one to the cable modem, and have the other pcs connect to the switch and connect the switch to the second NIC, and use the router/AP as only an AP. Im hoping for some suggestions, tips, anything. Links or anything would be great. Sorry if i seem like a total n00b, but this is my first attempt at something like this.

Thanks,
Bill

it's not hard to setup dhcp and file server at all. there is a wizard to guide you through the process of setting up your desired server roles. however, i do not think it is a good idea to use the machine as a firewall, since you will have all your data on it. your router already acts as a firewall via nat (network address translation), which should be more than enough for most home networks.

i tried it, and didnt seem to work at all. can you be specific on how to set it up? i had the cable modem into the 1st NIC, and the Linksys wireless router plugged into the second with the cable going into the "internet" The computers were not able to obtain an ip via the DHCP. I had the server configured with minimal changes. what am i doing wrong?

Bill,

Like ITR suggested, i would leave the Linksys to handle the routing, while you let the server handle file serving and DHCP.

If you still want to move ahead with it, i would recommend getting a copy of ISA 2004 to run on this box. You definitely don't want a regular win2k3 server facing the internet.

I believe the default built-in firewall in win2k3 is weak at best.

Start here to do your research.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/default.mspx

I'm running a configuration similar to what you want to do. You definitely want to put the Linksys router between your server and the Internet unless you are running ISA server.

Here's my setup.

untitled.bmp

It's because you probably did not "bridge" the two network connections to say that they are basically one nice tunnel.

And that image has got to have the worst font for reading. Doesn't that give you a headache looking at that?

well after a few hours of frustration i got it working correctly and where i want. Thanks for all your help. RIght now its pretty basic, but fine for now. Anything cool you guys suggest using it for other than the usual? Thanks again.

Well i ran into a problem. It seems that the wireless computers connected to the WRT54G cant connect to the internet. All the wired computers are fine. even the ones plugged into the WRT54G. The router is in gateway mode, and the DHCP server forwards the computers to use the 192.168.0.1 as the gateway. I believe the problem lies in the DNS server, because well the wireless computers arent getting anything for the DNS part, while the wired computers are. Im sure its probably something stupid but im just looking for some help. I do have the Win2k3 server running a DNS server.

Edit:NM i did get it to work, but i had to manually configure the DNS server. Is there a way it can be done automatically?

p0lish said:
well after a few hours of frustration i got it working correctly and where i want. Thanks for all your help. RIght now its pretty basic, but fine for now. Anything cool you guys suggest using it for other than the usual? Thanks again.

if u got time, u can update the server to a domain controller and run active directory so u can play around with gpos and shit. ldap is an interesting topic to do some in depth study on. since u go to school im pretty sure u can get exchange 2003 for free and setup a mail server as well.

Back