Fast laptop

turmelle

[H]ard|Gawd
Originally posted by FLECOM
well i was offered a P4 2.0a with a pretty decent 865 board...

My 2Ghz Northwood overclocked to 2.53ghz and is stable at stock voltage. Folds better than my 2500+ Barton at 2.2Ghz (3200+). If it was a good enough deal I'd go for it. New P4s are just too expensive.

OK, so Since I have a 2.6 P4 in my laptop (not Moble) and an XP 2600 running side by side I have watched my laptop consistently spank my XP. I decided to go with P4's for my blade (3 * 2.4C) and overclock them to 250 FSB (3.0G). I will run 2 instances of F@H due to the Hyperthreading.

So this is my math. On average (same WU) my P4 is 21.4% faster and from what I have read Hyperthreading add about 14%-19% boost. adding an arbitrary 7% due to the 3.0G (over the 2.6G) I will be looking at 42.4% - 47.4% speed boost with these chips. Cost of Barton 2500 = 93.91 : Cost of 2.4C = $168.64...

Looks like I would end up about even when it comes to money on getting 6 AMD's VS 3 Intel's, but the Intel boards cost 4% - 7% more. So why did I go with the 3 Intel's? Only 3 systems to worry about instead of 6. I am looking @ an extra 8% - 13% initial charge (3 Intel vs 6 AMD) but I think it will work out in the long run.

P.S. - I am not an Intel FanBoy. I prefer AMD in my main rig but for Folding, stable SSE and Hyperthreading seem to win for me anyway.

I am open to suggestions, did I screw up royally?

Kroz

Originally posted by Kroz
<snip>
So this is my math. <snip>
There are more things to figure in, such as PSU's, RMA's, RAM. And if you are pulling down a decent wage also the value of your time.
But it looks like Intel is about even.

Originally posted by Kroz
I am open to suggestions, did I screw up royally?

Kroz

The favor is leaning towards Intel lately, but there is a problem with your analogy. You're comparing relative speed and cost of a stock Barton 2500 against an overclocked 2.4c. Bartons can get to 2.2Ghz rather easily and that's about on par with a 2.4C stock. I would say you're looking at closer to 25-30% gain if you make 3Ghz on the P4. The 3 P4 systems vs 6 AMD would only be applicable with a 100% faster P4 system. ;) Now if you could get 3.2ghz you probably could beat 4 OC'd AMD systems. And yeah, stable SSE is definitely a factor.

I haven't looked at costs on MB/Ram for boards that can take a P4 to these extreme levels. I use all-in-one MBs in the $37-45 range.

Fewer systems is better so that is worth a premium for ease of management and lower power costs.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Will keep you posted turnelle, besides your Blue Blade and Red Blade are my inspiration!

You Da Man!

Kroz

Back