Fantastic Repaste Results with my EVGA 1080 ti SC!

Silas1128

n00b
I have an older GTX 1080 ti I'm still squeezing life out of, pushing a 3440x1440 monitor. My case is a bit restrictive, it's an old Packard Bell Windows 98, retro sleeper idea (an older build is pictured, now it's 5600x, 16gb, 1080ti, case is the same). The only intake fan is a 120mm I added at the bottom, blowing right into the GPU. I bought the card used, but I am positive it was never repasted, specially once I had it apart and saw the dried up paste. Took maybe 15-20 minutes, mostly fiddling with plugs.

Playing Foxhole, high preset, I'd see GPU temps in the low 80s with 75%+ fan speed within 10-15 minutes, ambient temp is almost never above 18c (65f). After repaste and playing for ~20 minutes I saw a max temp of 70c with max fan speed of 51%. That's over a 10c drop with over 20% less fan, pretty awesome results if you ask me!

Now just to hold out until 4000 series cards drop and I can snag a cheaper ~3080. Maybe I'll mess with a little OC here with the new thermal headroom.

nice. thats about typical on a repaste. the original paste still seemed ok though, not much of stock in a normal case. have you cut out the back for that exhaust fan or is that on the heat sink? only other thing i would suggest is some taller case feet to let that intake breath easier. nice little sleeper made out of units i used to sell at radio shack back then, i see best buy on that one.

nice. thats about typical on a repaste. the original paste still seemed ok though, not much of stock in a normal case. have you cut out the back for that exhaust fan or is that on the heat sink? only other thing i would suggest is some taller case feet to let that intake breath easier. nice little sleeper made out of units i used to sell at radio shack back then, i see best buy on that one.
That rear fan was on the heat sink. That cooler was a Cryorig H7, shortest 120mm tower cooler, and it JUST BARELY fit. I didn't have an AM4 mounting kit for it and went a different route. I'm now running a noctua NH-U9S, little shorter with 2 92mm fans.

For the feet, I have added spacers to lift it a good bit, the pictures are deceptive, it sits higher than it look. But I do think I added even more after this picture.

The only intake fan is that 120mm one and it seems to do it's job well. Now, specially after the repaste, the CPU and GPU both stay more than cool enough.

That's one clean case

Thanks!

Even has the millenium bug warning, lol.

I do have to admit that is a reproduction. geekenspiel on eBay made that, along with the windows 98 and AMD K6 sticker. But they are all correct to the case, before someone removed them years ago. I compared pictures to get the correct badges. (well, the Y2K is at least period correct, lol)

That rear fan was on the heat sink. That cooler was a Cryorig H7, shortest 120mm tower cooler, and it JUST BARELY fit. I didn't have an AM4 mounting kit for it and went a different route. I'm now running a noctua NH-U9S, little shorter with 2 92mm fans.

For the feet, I have added spacers to lift it a good bit, the pictures are deceptive, it sits higher than it look. But I do think I added even more after this picture.

The only intake fan is that 120mm one and it seems to do it's job well. Now, specially after the repaste, the CPU and GPU both stay more than cool enough.

Thanks!
ah, i see. id drill out the holes for better exhaust back there, will help.

Agreed. He might be able to buy a 5.25" bay that has fans for a front air intake.

I've done a TON of research about ways to improve airflow without making obvious external visuals. There is JUST enough height (82.5mm) in the 2 5.25 bays that I could mount an 80mm fan there, and I actually did for a while. But I didn't like the mesh look in the bay. It made it more obvious what it was. I could also drill out or completely cut out the back there for more exhaust. But I just haven't had any temp issue, so I haven't bothered.

The one thing I have been considering is adding a second 120mm fan next to the other. The real motivation behind this is that, according to my measurements so far, I could fit a 240mm rad there with some slim 120mm fans and do liquid cooling. But that would just be for fun, because as I mentioned, cooling doesn't seem to be an issue really, as it it.

I've done a TON of research about ways to improve airflow without making obvious external visuals. There is JUST enough height (82.5mm) in the 2 5.25 bays that I could mount an 80mm fan there, and I actually did for a while. But I didn't like the mesh look in the bay. It made it more obvious what it was. I could also drill out or completely cut out the back there for more exhaust. But I just haven't had any temp issue, so I haven't bothered.

The one thing I have been considering is adding a second 120mm fan next to the other. The real motivation behind this is that, according to my measurements so far, I could fit a 240mm rad there with some slim 120mm fans and do liquid cooling. But that would just be for fun, because as I mentioned, cooling doesn't seem to be an issue really, as it it.
What if you spray painted the grill white? Would it look better?

What if you spray painted the grill white? Would it look better?
I looked for a beige one, and found a few, but they were either out of stock or like oddly expensive.

But that is something I've thought about, will have to see how close to beige I can find.

Back