Fan crackles, fixable?

Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
578
My PSU fan is making crackling noises and has been for a really long time, Im just now getting the ambition to try and fix the damn thing since the noise isnt worth buying a new PSU over. It doesnt crackle very often but when it does it usually lasts long enough to be annoying.

Its a ball bearing fan, 80mm. Its a very low speed fan though so I cant just buy another 80mm or use one of my old ones... I tried sticking in an old 80mm fan and it screamed like a banshee in there because its so fast.

Is it possible to fix a crackling fan? I applied some mineral oil to the center area under the sticker (or some type of clear oil that came with a razor for lubricating) but it still crackles a little. Should I keep applying oil, do something else, or give up?
 
Your fan "crackles"? I don't know that I have ever heard a fan do that. Can you explain a little more?
 
Hmm I would think adding oil is bad. I would never do it in fear of spray from it. Regardless I am guessing your ball bearings are dieing. Just buy a low speed fan and put it in there if you are comfortable doing that.
 
It makes a crackling noise... like rice krispies but in random bursts. Fans squeak or crackle, they are made to take in oil since they have a specific spot for that with a rubber plug under the sticker.

oil500.jpg


I would buy a low speed fan if they sold them, but all Ive seen are regular 80mm case fans which are way too powerful inside a tight space like that.
 
take the high speed fan and run it at 7 volts (aka 7 volt mod) fans run slower and not as loud
so you can use your screaming banshee at a reasonable audio level
 
Back
Top