Fairly Quiet Radiator Setup?

Jitsu

Limp Gawd
I'm going for a quiet case.

I'm wondering what is the quietest rad setup? Two 120mm fans at 1/2 power?

Which rad and fans are reccomended?

I'm getting a case that has alot of room to work with for a radiator setup.....

My case:

Link to picture of Antec/Chieftec style case

edited by zer0signal667 - please no direct linking to images that are not served by you

I use a D-Tek JR-120 heatercore with dual 120mm aluminum evercool fans running at 7v each. Thing is so quiet I don't even know when it's on anymore.

I have two HC's shrouded with Evercool 120's on pull and it's super quite. I tried push/pull but it wasn't worth the extra noise it creates. If you don't LAN with this rig I'd keep the HC's external. It will be allot cooler for you. Check my profile for pics of my current setup.

What happens when you prop that 120mm fan in front of a hole designed for an 80mm fan?
Do you get some sort of blowback? without the proper sized hole, are the 120s moving enough air out from the radiator?

This is very quiet:

CIMG0342.jpg

Basically, a dually heatercore with dually 120mm 7v fans. Makes almost no noise. You should be able to mod it to fit any case because the radiator fits between the drive bays with a little modding.

It has been tested that using a pull fan is better than using a push fan, and using a push pull fan config is only marginally better than a pull. Push-Pull is not worth the extra noise. Another consideration is to mount the fans internally behind as much material as possible. This usually necessitates a pull config blowing air into the case, but it should cut down on noise a little.

No, the thermaltake true power supplies have a "fan only" wire that 7v everything. I just hooked them to that.

Have you tried mounting the fans inside the case? If so, did it reduce the noise by any noticeable means?

killernoodle said:
This is very quiet:

CIMG0342.jpg

Basically, a dually heatercore with dually 120mm 7v fans. Makes almost no noise. You should be able to mod it to fit any case because the radiator fits between the drive bays with a little modding.

It has been tested that using a pull fan is better than using a push fan, and using a push pull fan config is only marginally better than a pull. Push-Pull is not worth the extra noise. Another consideration is to mount the fans internally behind as much material as possible. This usually necessitates a pull config blowing air into the case, but it should cut down on noise a little.

hey ;)

P1010131.JPG

I made them 7-volt by swapping the 5v with a ground, so that the fans draw from the 12v and their ground is 5v, effectivly 7v. i can explain more if needed.

It would help, but I couldnt try it. I didnt want the radiator on the outside of the case because it could get beat up, and I dont have enough room on the inside because my case is tiny.

Back