Eyefinity + 3d Impossible?

ricwhite

n00b
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
6
I'm upgrading to an Eyefinity system this spring. I wanted to "future proof" my system by getting 3 120hz displays (the new Alienware or Acer) so when 3D solutions come out, I'd be ready. However none of the new 120 hz monitors come with displayport. So, I figured I must buy an active displayport adapter. But none of the active displayport adapters that I've looked at work with 120hz 3d monitors.

So . . . what am I supposed to do to be ready for BOTH Eyefinity and 3D technology? Any ideas?
 
I'm upgrading to an Eyefinity system this spring. I wanted to "future proof" my system by getting 3 120hz displays (the new Alienware or Acer) so when 3D solutions come out, I'd be ready. However none of the new 120 hz monitors come with displayport. So, I figured I must buy an active displayport adapter. But none of the active displayport adapters that I've looked at work with 120hz 3d monitors.

So . . . what am I supposed to do to be ready for BOTH Eyefinity and 3D technology? Any ideas?

Hm are you sure an active DP adapter doesn't work? They are suppose to support dual-link DVI resolutions which is what you need for 120Hz, but I'm not sure. I'd been hoping to do the same thing, buy all 120Hz displays, but I ended up not and just planning on buying 1 120Hz display in a year when they get more displays on the market since I doubt I can handle 3x120Hz displays on my system ever anyway.
 
Hm are you sure an active DP adapter doesn't work? They are suppose to support dual-link DVI resolutions which is what you need for 120Hz, but I'm not sure. I'd been hoping to do the same thing, buy all 120Hz displays, but I ended up not and just planning on buying 1 120Hz display in a year when they get more displays on the market since I doubt I can handle 3x120Hz displays on my system ever anyway.

Here is one recommended by AMD, but notice at the bottom of the description it states: This adapter does not support 120Hz 3-D stereo display

http://www.accellcables.com/products/DisplayPort/DP/mdp_dvid.htm

Here is the other recommended displayport adapter. Same thing:

http://www.accellcables.com/products/DisplayPort/DP/dp_dvid.htm
 
Back
Top