Extreme Networks Summit 15010 L3 switch.

Order

Gawd
I'm looking for an excellent switch for a home networking project I'm working on. I was originally thinking about going with an all-gigabit switch but the prices versus the features I want are really prohibitive. I've seen these Extreme switches on ebay for an excellent price of between $500-$1000. They are L3 (full or partial) with at least 32mb of buffer memory and between 24-48 FE ports and 2-4 GBICs. Does anyone know how they are and if I'm barking up the right tree?

I actually had an Extreme BlackDiamond 6808 that I just loved at work. Incredibly fast and never had a problem with it. That is until it died. But it was a result of being forced to keep in running in a building undergoing renovation. All my edge switches are cisco so no experience with the Summit's but if they are on the same level as the BlackDiamond I would wager a guess that they kick ass.

Extreme Summit switches are pretty solid, just don't expect to be running several hundred ACLs on them. Other than that, they are an excellent switch.

I have to question the validity of needing such high-end equipment for home use. What are you planning to do with them?

Other than the 1337 prospect of having enterprise networking equipment in my home, I really want to teach myself about the aspects of L3 and also try to use some aggretaged links to and from the switch with a cluster I'm working on.
Thanks for your replies, all.

Back