extract .inf from .exe

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
Help, [H]!!

So my parents got a new Hp Mini, and have been really happy with it. I was on the phone with them, and was trying to set up wireless printsharing from their desktop

I set up the network, so I know it's good to go. I led them through getting their Vista desktop and XP netbook up on the same workgroup etc, and they can see each other across the network and the netbook can see the printer.

SO I know that everything on the network and the computers' ability to communicate are right.
However, there is a driver issue. Normally, I have found that usually a XP computer can get XP drivers from a Vista-hosted printer, but not this time. And when we download the drivers or use a USB external drive with the HP drivers/CD, the drivers setup cannot detect the printer. AND of course they don't have an option to just point to it.

SO my question is, is there a way to extract the .inf file from the .exe driver from hp?

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software3/COL8097/ps-22702-1/hp_72_enu_net.exe

PS: I tried 7-zip, no dice.

not sure about that particular exe. Some driver packages extract themselves before checking if you have the right hardware (usually straight into c:). Do a search on c: for hp printer.

You're my hero. Trying to get the 'rents to navigate the install CD over the phone was getting a little ridiculous. I think I found the .inf I was looking for, so here's hoping I can get the frekin software to recognize it.

What did you use to extract the contents?

You have to run the installer, wait for it to get to the first point where you click Next to continue, and then leave it sitting there. Go into your system's Temp folders (buried inside your user profile) and find the particular one with the installation files inside it that were extracted, then copy it someplace, go back to the installer and cancel it.

Not the easiest set of tasks for the average Joe (not me, I assure you) but I've done it several thousand times I think. :)

Usually, you can rightclick extract files using 7-zip. Some rarely-seen installer systems don't work, though.

Back