External Hard Drive

p3ngu!n

n00b
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
10
I'm making an external hard drive for a friend with an enclosure and an internal hdd and I was looking around on Newegg, I found a lot of cheap Samsung drives. Would you recommend Samsung over WD or Seagate considering the price difference? Or is it like Maxtor (stay the hell away)?
 
You're always going to find people that hate brand X and like brand Y. Personally I have never had a bad experience with any of them in the past 10 years, but I really like how all Seagates have a 5 year warranty. I'd get whichever drive has the performance/features your looking for at the price you're willing to pay.
 
samsung drives are usually very quiet, so that might be a strength in an external drive. since there's no big case to muffle the sound, and no fans to drown it out, a noisy hard drive is really audible when it's sitting on your desk.

i don't know if there's anything to it, but you might want to look at power consumption specs for various drives. if they consume less power, they probably give off less heat, and not all external enclosures are well vented.

i'm not sure what this drive is being used for, but you might want to consider a laptop drive as well. they're much smaller, don't require as much power, don't put off as much heat, and are made to be traveled with/bumped around. if it sits on your desk all the time then it may not matter, but if you bring this drive around, a laptop drive will probably outlast a desktop drive. the other gigantic benefit of a laptop drive is that it can be bus powered. i've got a 100gb 5400rpm laptop drive in a case that runs off only a usb port. it comes to school and to work with me every day in my backpack. not having to bring around a fat plug and not having to find a place to plug it in is great
 
Back
Top