• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Extending wires on 5300e's (hard-wired)

Team Obi Juan

Your Local Postmaster
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
23,276
Hi all,

i recently moved and to use my rear speakers, i have to extend the wires. The problem is, they're hard-wired.

What I mean by that is that each speaker has 1 single plug for it, and each plug has a corresponding plug on the back of the sub. 5 speakers, 5 single wires.

How can I make these longer? Can I cut the wire in half, splice off the insulation and just put your standard speaker wire in between? How could i tell which copper was negative?

OR, what kind of cabling is this on the 5300's? Do they make cabling like this that I can just buy (i'd do this for aesthetic reasons alone)?

Thanks in advance
 
You can get extensions for those "RCA" type of plugs, they may be more but not sure, and also if you splice you run a risk of insulation and possible "static" and/or elctromagnetic interference and may show up on your audio sound. i would do the rca extensions Like this
 
Please explain that logic to me.

How is an extension cable with exposed RCA connectors not immune to possible "static" and/or electromagnetic interference?



And while you are at it explain WTF the following quote is supposed to mean

you run a risk of insulation
:confused:

As far as the whole static or electromagnetic interference thing goes try a little experiment.

Hook up the TV antenna on your roof to a speaker one time and see how much of a problem environmental noise is. ;)
 
hmmmm so looks like either way would be good? Which way would you do mister x? you really jumped his ass there, lol
 
I would turn on the soldering station, open up the speakers, grab some 16 guage wire and rca plugs out of the junk box and replace the entire mess with something that is not going to break in a week. ;)

As far as jumping someones ass goes.... I am simply trying to understand the logic in that reply.
 
Thanks for reaming my ass... I just meant that if you spliced them improperly and LACKED insulation, then you could run into shorts or other problems. I just didn't put it properly...*bows down* im sorry to not be perfect mister x :rolleyes:

And evidentally you think that a TV antenna has the same amount of electricity (electromagnetic field) flowing through it as say a power cable coming from 120V wall outlet?I believe it is a little different when you have good amounts of voltage running through a line that is somewhat close to a speaker wire that is exposed (not having any insulation protecting it). I could be wrong but whenever I had speaker wire close to power cables it would always make some sort of noise coming out of the speakers.

I did not say anything about exposed RCA connectors being bad for interference, etc. I said that splicing something to make it longer isn't going to make it as a good path of least resistance as a single strand, rather than two pieces soldered together. ;) So now what mister x... was that a lil better?
 
Back
Top