extending wireless coverage

joormotha

Gawd
Hey guys,

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 and wanted to get some extended reach with the router. My dad lives in the same apartment building, over 100ft away and one floor up. ATM, he does not get signal. I haven't messed with changing channels or turning WEP off. I'd rather keep WEP and my guess is that changing channels won't help much anyway. I've been looking at Omni-directional antennas, but I'm not sure how strong of an antenna I need, and whether it will need to stick outside my apartment. Any of you guys have experience with this? Thanks in advance.

You need to buy an amplifier. If you look at the pattern on a non-amplified high-gain omni antenna, they get their gain by killing all the vertical. Since your dad's above you, that would rule out using a high gain antenna.

You'll need an amp on your side, and your dad should get a kagi-style antenna, aimed at your AP.

batkiwi said:
You need to buy an amplifier. If you look at the pattern on a non-amplified high-gain omni antenna, they get their gain by killing all the vertical. Since your dad's above you, that would rule out using a high gain antenna.

You'll need an amp on your side, and your dad should get a kagi-style antenna, aimed at your AP.

Are there any particular brands/models that I should look at. What type of price range am I looking at?

Dont buy an amplifier - those are costly and expensive.

Get the LinkSys WAP54g instead - it can act as a repeater. I have such a set up in my house. LinkSys WRT54g on the 4th floor and the WAP54g in the den.

Back