Expanding the network here at home - advice needed please

W6FO

Gawd
I have about 6 new servers here at home for Folding and SETI@Home that I'd like to have Internet connectivity to. Looking for advice on how to best accomplish this given my current topology and limited budget. Currently:

1st Floor
Linksys Wireless-G router with 4-ports connected to Comcast cable for Internet
Windows Workstation wired to one port on the router

2nd Floor
Two Windows Workstations and a Linux Workstation on the Wireless network on the 1st floor.

The new machines are on the second floor and are all 1U and 2U servers stacked in a rack with at minimum of 1 x 100Mbps Ethernet port in each. I don't have any free PCI slots to add wireless adapters and I can't run twisted pair from the first floor to the second floor. I'd also rather not have an Ethernet to Wireless bridge on each server either.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

go buy a couple Buffalo WHR-G54s routers, set them up as a wireless bridge. Plug your servers into the back of one and plug the other into your wireless router on the first floor.

Or you could do a powerline ethernet adapter into a cheap 4-5 port switch. That would probably be a lot simpler. :D

Can I plug a WAP into the router on the first floor and a WAP to a 100Mbps switch on the second floor?

K, I think I will just do that then as I have an old 3Com 24-port switch in the closet somewhere that I can use. Thanks.

EoP sounds like a good idea in theory. However, the two floors do not share the same house wiring. Each floor has it's own electrical service so I don't think it'd work.

Weird setup for electrical. Ethernet over powerline may or may not work in this case.

Well..guess the only other alterative would be ethernet over phonelines. But if this house has 2x separate electrical circuits...guessing phonelines are separate too. This a duplex?

Guess you're stuck dealing with wireless bridging..which can be a handful..done on home grade equipment may require frequent rebooting to bring them back online.

Yeah, it's an old house that's been renovated into three separate apartments. Thanks for the input.

Back