Exchange Server using No IP Dynamic DNS on Dynamic IP FIOS Connection

AmongTheChosenX

Supreme [H]ardness
It's really just for a test lab, but I'd really like to get this rolling and I keep running into roadblocks.

I bought the domain for a dollar (atozcc.net) and have an Exchange server freshly installed on a HyperV VM on my Server at my home.

I have Dynamic DNS Services set up at my house using the address atozcc.ddns.net

What's the best way to configure this? Should I have purchased the domain from No IP and used their services? As far as I know Verizon closes port 25 except for their own mail servers?

Is there another service I should use?

Adam

Last edited:
well if port 25 is blocked, then it doesn't really matter what the dns settings are.

In all honesty, most decent domain name registrars provide a mail service. Doesn't yours do that? If not, just buy the service or get a business line.
//Danne

Last edited:
It's really just for a test lab, but I'd really like to get this rolling and I keep running into roadblocks.

I bought the domain for a dollar (atozcc.net) and have an Exchange server freshly installed on a HyperV VM on my Server at my home.

I have Dynamic DNS Services set up at my house using the address atozcc.ddns.net

What's the best way to configure this? Should I have purchased the domain from No IP and used their services? As far as I know Verizon closes port 25 except for their own mail servers?

Is there another service I should use?

Adam

Look for an SMTP relay/Smart host. This will allow you to forward outbound SMTP messages to them over a non-standard port, and they will send it for you. That is how I'm setup at home using time warner cable. I believe dyndns offers the service for like 20$/year.

For inbound dnynamic DNS, I use zoneedit. I use their nameservers in the configuration for my domain. Then I can setup host names like mail.domain.com etc.

Look for an SMTP relay/Smart host. This will allow you to forward outbound SMTP messages to them over a non-standard port, and they will send it for you. That is how I'm setup at home using time warner cable. I believe dyndns offers the service for like 20$/year.

For inbound dnynamic DNS, I use zoneedit. I use their nameservers in the configuration for my domain. Then I can setup host names like mail.domain.com etc.

This is great. I'll check into the DynDNS service. NOIP's is super expensive.

My domain came with 5 free subdomains and DNS for each of those, so here is what I did

Created a subdomain (mail.domain.net) then used a CNAME records to point to my Dynamic DNS Address (domain.ddns.net)
Then on my Primary domain (domain.net), set up the MX Record to point to the mail subdomain (mail.domain.net).

This should ensure that all MX record requests point to the subdomain, which then points to dynamic DNS, which then points to port 443/25, both of which are forwarded directly to the Exchange Server VM.

As for outgoing Mail, I'm going to use Exchange Send Connectors and either use Verizon's Mail Server (authenticate with a Verizon Email Account on my FIOS Account console), or bypass it altogether and send out using a third party send connector.

The former seems simpler, so I will try that first.

MX Records cannot be CNAMEs per RFC.

Some mail servers will not send to you.

Use a dyndns updater for mail.domain.net.

MX Records cannot be CNAMEs per RFC.

Some mail servers will not send to you.

Use a dyndns updater for mail.domain.net.

ghettoSMTP and MXGuarddog services will allow you to forward to a specific server address, so I signed up for both and was able to get it working.

One of these days when I live on my own I'll get a business package with static ip

Back