Exchange Server Setup & VPN

ppandemic

Gawd
Hey [H],
come this Thursday I am doing a small favour for a friend. I am needing to install a very simple exchange server and allow it to be accessed VIA VPN. I understand how to setup the VPN to work with AD and the domain, however the Exchange Server I have never set up before. I am sure it is pretty simple, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice setting this up.

Its a pretty simple setup. The Exchange Server needs to pull and send email from and to a pop and smtp server. And of course the clients need to connect to the exchange server from the office and from the VPN.

Any documentation or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS: Im breaking out a virtual machine to play with it right now. :)

Ok a few questions

first off you will have a 15 min delay if you pull the mail off the pop3 server. If you REALLY want to keep the pop3 server you can do something that exchange hosts do all the time, have the pop3 mail account setup and then forward the mail to the exchange acount.

Example - your exchange server is setup with something like exch01.yourcompany.com and your main domain on the pop3 server is yourcompany.com. When mail is sent to the yourcompany.com it gets forwarded to exch01.yourcompany.com and delivered instantly.

Second, why only the VPN? You could do Outlook Anywhere. Very simple and handy.

also your new best friend - https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Right now the emails pool in to a gmail account that is pulled off from a single client.
Once the emails are pulled by Outlook, the emails are removed from the gmail inbox.

This obviously causes problems for when the client runs Outlook on his workstation when he leaves the office and wishes to check his email when he gets home.

So I figure if I could just have the exchange server grab the emails from the pop server then sync with both clients, all will be good.

ps: i'm unable to find a setting that will disable the deletion of mail from the inbox on the gmail account.

EDIT: I have just found the "Leave a copy of the mail on the server." check box, will this fix my issue?

OK I have gotten the mail all sorted out, now as far as the VPN goes, I have yet to configure it with AD...currently there is a VPN server running on the network and basically allows access to network shares and the network printer. I have read some tutorials on setting up the VPN on the domain controller that is configured with AD... Would I just set the same windows server as a VPN roll as well, to assign on the same subnet? This should allow the AD users to connect to the VPN, correct?

Back