Exchange Server: Mailroot/Badmail

I'm trying to create some disk space on the server at work. One folderthat has caught my attention is a BadMail folder inside the Exchangerserver/MailRoot directory. When I open the folder it never shows the contents and the hourglass icon comes up forever. I gave it all night to open, and nothing ever came up. When I tried to look at the properties of the folder, it only once showed that there was over half a gig of data in the folder.

Does someone with Exchange Server 2000 experience know if I can delete this entire folder and recreate an empty folder with the same name? My gut feeling is that this a collection of junk/virus/corrupted mail that has been filling since the server was installed 4 years ago, but I would greatly appreciate some expertise advising me.

Thanks

Smooth

Not an expert on exchange but i foound this : Badmail

There is a script to automatically purge the badmail folder.

Thanks, I found something similar that essentially said if you do not manually delete the contents of the folder regularly, it will take up your disk space. Ours was almost a full gig of trash email. Took 2 hours to delete the contents.

I checked the contents of the folder a few hours later and there were already 1000 files written to BadMail. Obviously someone is flooding our exchange server with junk mail. No way can our 10 man office be generating that many bad emails a day, :)

Guess my task next week is figure out how to lower the amount of trash mail coming in.

Smooth

Yeah, my Exch2k server is like that too. I hate how it creates millions of those damn files that take forever to delete. Too bad you can't aim it to /dev/null like you can in a *nix OS. I usually just go in once a month and delete the crap.

Sounds like you're getting a lot of crap. I've got about 80 users on the exchange server at work and it only generates about 2000 badmails a day. I am using GFI MailEssentials though, so that might be cutting a lot of it out. Also make sure you're server is not allowed to relay mail.

sandmanx said:
Yeah, my Exch2k server is like that too. I hate how it creates millions of those damn files that take forever to delete. Too bad you can't aim it to /dev/null like you can in a *nix OS. I usually just go in once a month and delete the crap.

Sounds like you're getting a lot of crap. I've got about 80 users on the exchange server at work and it only generates about 2000 badmails a day. I am using GFI MailEssentials though, so that might be cutting a lot of it out. Also make sure you're server is not allowed to relay mail.

Sandman: mind explaing what relaying mail is? And also how to disable it? I am learning all of this on a fix this problem now basis. Maybe you could PM it to me so people don't laugh at my ignorant questions.

Smooth

Big-Smoot[H] said:
Sandman: mind explaing what relaying mail is? And also how to disable it? I am learning all of this on a fix this problem now basis. Maybe you could PM it to me so people don't laugh at my ignorant questions.

Smooth

You got PM.

Back