Exchange Move Mailbox Issues

logo29a

Gawd
Hello,

Recently I added two new Exchange 2003 servers to my network that will eventually replace a one old one. The two new mail servers are Exchange 2003 Sp1 and are running on Windows 2003 Server Sp1. They are indentically configured. The old mail server is simply Mail.mydomain.com. The two new ones are Mail2 and Mail3.

Ever since I first setup these two new mail servers I have been having trouble moving mailboxes to Mail3. The errors I get are MSExchangeAdmin 1008 and 9172. At first I suspected corrupt messages in the mailboxes, but moves to Mail2 were successful every time. Some moves to Mail3 have been successful, but they have all been very slow moves. I have tried everything I can think of. I have manually set the speed and duplex on both the server and switch. I have replaced the network cable. I even made sure that all mail servers were on the same switch. I also tried running isinteg a couple of times on the original private store. Aside from that, I have tried moving mailboxes from Mail2 to Mail3 and have encountered the same problems. The only problem I had when setting up this server was with naming. I originally had an issue naming Mail3 due to an outdated Wins entry on another domain. As a note, mailboxes on Mail3 have no trouble recieving or sending normal mail messages.

On top of this, I have also had replication issues. When I added Mail3 as a replica for a public folder, several backfill requests were made. The backfill responses for Mail3 moved extremely slowly. Replication to Mail2 was very quick.

Any help would be extremely appreciated at this point. Thanks.

Really sounds like a network issue. Check the NIC and see if it's reporting errors. Try another. Let a ping run for a long time. Have any loss? How much?

Quick question, are your two new mail servers configured as domain controllers or as stand alone servers with exchange installed. Did you "PULL" active directory information from your GC server when installing. Are you seeing any type of AD errors? ( if you are running active directory). What about DNS errors showing up?

biz

I considered that, but it doesn't appear to be the case. I will have to check into a little further as you suggested. I've tried different configs at the switch port and on the nic. It doesn't appear to be producing any errors. I've changed network cables and I also tried the secondary nic. I even tried different addresses. I'll keep an eye on it though. Thanks for the reply.

bizh0p said:
Quick question, are your two new mail servers configured as domain controllers or as stand alone servers with exchange installed. Did you "PULL" active directory information from your GC server when installing. Are you seeing any type of AD errors? ( if you are running active directory). What about DNS errors showing up?

biz

All of our mail servers are stand alone Exchange servers. There aren't any DNS errors showing on any of the servers. The only AD errors I've recieved were a result of me playing with speed/duplex settings (lost connection to DC).

Anytime I see replication problems, I think DNS. I had to call MS tech support to fix a replication/DNS problem we were having and they corrected several minor issues we were having before discovering that the real cause was a bad patch they sent out one evening. It wasn't until that series of phone calls that I realized how dependent AD was on DNS. If you have to, give MS a call - the tech support people I talked to were all very good.

Matt, they usually are very good, but they aren't cheap.

I was thinking corrupt messages or DNS at first, but the weird thing is that the move process connects to both servers and starts copying quite a few messages before crapping out. However, I still haven't completely rulled that out.

I was just talking with someone that said he had problems with Broadcom Nics and some Cisco Catalyst switches. This just happens to be my setup. The weird thing is that one server is working 100% and the other isn't. He said that I might should try hooking it up into a cheap switch and then on into the Cat.

Just another thought, I don't think this has anything to do with your situation though, my AD was not replicating between my GC and another domain controller along with the Exchange active directory, what I found out was that the "time settings" were more than 5 minutes apart and even this affected AD replication. Once I set the time back evenly across all servers, than my AD began replication again,,, go figure,, this was a microsoft knowledge post by the way....

biz

I haven't really checked time because I haven't seen any time related errors, but I will certainly check into it.

Back