Exchange "Logon network security" gets changed to Anonymous Authentication

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

outlook_cannotstart-logonexchangefailed.png

Two days ago we had a countless number of users unable to launch their Outlook client. As it turns out, by a presently unknown cause, the "Logon network security" changed from Negotiate Authentication to Anonymous Authentication. When we run through the auto discover in setting up an e-mail account in Outlook from scratch it now defaults to this instead of Negotiate Authentication. For many users, we have solved their issue by setting this back to Negotiate Authentication.

outlook_logonnetworksecurity.png

However, for some users even after setting it back to the correct configuration, it still doesn't work. For example, one symptom we will experience is when it is performing the auto discovery. Sometimes it will go through all three with green checkmarks very quickly -- I know from experience that Outlook will work fine afterwards, but for some users after it completes two out of three checkmarks it will spend 1-2 minutes on the last checkmark before it finally decides to give it a green checkmark (Outlook will still not work despite all three items getting checkmarks).

outlook_exchangeproxy_autodiscovery.png

Auto discovery settings

For one user who spent a few minutes waiting during the auto discovery for that last green checkmark, what I tried differently was in the Microsoft Exchange Proxy Settings I unchecked "Only connect to proxy servers that have this principal name in their certificate" (was filled in with msstd:abc-exchange1.company.local) and change "User this URL to connect to my proxy server for Exchange" to mail.company.com (was filled in with abc-exchange1.company.local). After this, as well as changing "Logon network security" back to Negotiate Authentication and turning off Cached Exchange Mode, Outlook launched successfully. I went back to look at the settings so I could write this post and I found that the changes I made under "Microsoft Exchange Proxy Settings" had been reverted to the auto discovery settings, but Outlook worked. *confused* I tried this on two other users and did not see it revert the Proxy settings from what I manually set.

outlook_exchangeproxy_mail.company.com.png

This got the user back on their feet until we are able to find a real solution to the problem; this is the same configuration we use for laptop users, but that is because we do not have auto discovery setup correctly for our public internet DNS. I did have 'on fast networks' checkboxed for the user, as they were on a VDI in the same datacenter as our Exchange server

Last edited:
Back