Exchange 2010 - Exporting Mailboxes

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I have two user mailboxes to export from my current Exchange 2010 server. Both left the company, so I normally pull out their mailbox to a .pst file for archiving. So, I figure I'll just use the new version of ExMerge, right?

Nope, it's been removed, and the new instructions involve installing Outlook 2010 x64 (which we don't have) to the server, and then running through a whole list of PowerShell commands to enable the applet, and then export the mailboxes.

Tell me I'm reading this wrong, and that it isn't really this complicated.

looks like you are correct.

There is no GUI (apparently there was a GUI in the beta, but was removed since RC1 of Exchange 2010).

In order to see/run export/import cmdlets in the shell, you should be given explicit permissions. No user is allowed to run the command by default. The user who wants to run the cmdlets should be given “Mailbox Import Export” management role.

I tried running the same command after installing Outlook 2010 32-bit edition, but got the same error. So, you need a 64-bit Outlook 2010 along with 2010 management tools to run export/import cmdlets. Once I installed the 64-bit Outlook 2010, I was able to export the mailbox.

http://www.howexchangeworks.com/2009/08/where-is-exportimport-cmdlets-in.html

how ridiculous

edit: looks like some things may be changing when Exchange 2010 SP1 comes out?

Exchange 2010 Service Pack 1 which is under development and will be released later this calendar year changes things once again, and this time I reckon the Exchange Product group managed to deliver a fantastic solution when it comes to importing and exporting data to and from mailboxes.

With Exchange 2010 SP1, the Import-Mailbox and Export-Mailbox cmdlets has been replaced with a new set of cmdlets named New-MailboxImportRequest and New-MailboxExportRequest.

Even better, the Exchange Product group also thought it was a excellent thought to get rid of the requirement of the Outlook 2010 MAPI provider. Instead Exchange 2010 has its own MAPI provider (again some would say) and did I mention that these two new cmdlets take advantage of the Exchange Mailbox Replication Service (MRS) which makes it possible to import or export data via an asynchronous process just like when you go mailboxes using the New-MoveRequest cmdlet.

http://windows-scripting.co.cc/exchange/importexport-mailbox-improvements-in-exchange-2010-sp1

Last edited:
That's insane...I was really hoping I was reading the steps wrong. I guess, for now, I'll just log into a client system and export the data that way. Dumb. However, thanks for the link about SP1...I'll be keeping my eye out for it.

This is not true the option is still in the GUI. Just Goto File > Open > Import. After you click import you have the same old export option's outlook has always had!

Good luck!

This is not true the option is still in the GUI. Just Goto File > Open > Import. After you click import you have the same old export option's outlook has always had!

Good luck!

he's wanting to do this from within Exchange Management Console, on the Exchange server. Not within Outlook on a workstation.
Exmerge was a separate GUI app for doing this, which was apparently nixed in Exchange 2010. And if you followed the links, you would see Outlook 2010 is a requirement to get the cmdlets available for use in PowerShell or the Exchange Console. Which means you would have to install Outlook 2010 on the Exchange Server just to get MAPI.

Back