evga 680i post error 26

I have an evga 680i sli board in my computer. It was working great until a few days ago, when I was moving. I took the computer apart for the move and put it back together at the end, but now the computer will not boot. When I start it up, the led display scrolls through some numbers and letters, and then gets stuck on the number 26 for a moment, also letting out a long beep while the display is on 26. Then it scrolls through some more numbers and eventually gets stuck on FF, which apparently is normal boot. However, nothing shows on the monitor. The post code 26 for 680i boards apparently means "Gen Init onboard clock generator and sensor". I am not really sure what this is. The same thing happens when I take out the video card. I have tried moving the ram to different slots and changing power connectors, but the same problem is still there. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Specs:
Intel QX6700
evga 680i SLI
XFX 8800GTX
2GB Corsair Dominator (Dual Channel)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Thank you for your help

I have an evga 680i sli board in my computer. It was working great until a few days ago, when I was moving. I took the computer apart for the move and put it back together at the end, but now the computer will not boot. When I start it up, the led display scrolls through some numbers and letters, and then gets stuck on the number 26 for a moment, also letting out a long beep while the display is on 26. Then it scrolls through some more numbers and eventually gets stuck on FF, which apparently is normal boot. However, nothing shows on the monitor. The post code 26 for 680i boards apparently means "Gen Init onboard clock generator and sensor". I am not really sure what this is. The same thing happens when I take out the video card. I have tried moving the ram to different slots and changing power connectors, but the same problem is still there. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Specs:
Intel QX6700
evga 680i SLI
XFX 8800GTX
2GB Corsair Dominator (Dual Channel)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Thank you for your help

I to have a 680i SLI board. Maybe a part was damaged during the move.

And FF means ''Fully Functional'', So make sure the monitor is on and plugged in. Also if you know how, reset the CMOS by taking the circular battery out of the motherboard and wait for a few minutes and then place it back in.

Also try your video card in a different slot and see what happens Also if you have another Power Supply, try that. And try and reseat everything. Also something could have been damaged by ESD(static) so you may need to RMA the board or another component.

Actually the error code is 2b, not 26, My bad. However, this is listed as an "initialize video" code. The computer pauses on 2b for a moment and lets out one long beep and then continues to FF. I will try reseating the card and perhaps trying a different GPU. Any other ideas?

Okay so the problem is back. Turns out that when I turned the computer back upright, the error came back. I have tried reseating and also changing slots. Would this be a videocard problem or motherboard one? I will try testing with a different video card if I find one.

Try everything Different, PSU, different Video card if you can a different CPU, and seee if it POSTs. I could be a motherboard problem to. If you have another working mother board around that compatibale with you hardware you can put everything on that board(CPU, RAM ,GPU, PSU) and see if it can POST on that board. If it does then its the motherboard thats bad, if it doesnt, then its a another componets that wrong.

I have the exact same issue.

I took my machine outside and gave it a good dusting - it had been a few months since my last cleaning and was pretty dirty. I brought it back in and powered up. Everything was great and fired up just like it should. I left it on and went to my folks' house for a few hours and returned to find a black screen. The system was still powered on, and I was seeing hard drive activity on the LED, but nothing was being displayed onscreen. I rebooted, and thus began my frustrations with the long beep at POST code 2b, then eventually winds its way to FF.

I moved the video card to another slot, and the system booted perfectly, just one short beep like normal. After it showed the BIOS, CPU, memory information and all that, it states that the video card was detected in the wrong slot, and that for non-SLI operation, you have to move it back to slot 1. I power down, move it back to slot 1, and the same thing occurs as before. Looks like it's the mobo to me.

Damn...

I would really rather have to replace the card since I don't even game so much anymore.

Back