Everyone is stumped by this "simple" problem I have...

Huggles

Gawd
...maybe you guys can help.

I thought I knew alot about computers.

Well, I don't.

My work computer, has a problem. Whenever you hit "ctrl", I.E. pops up. Just the home page.

That's it. However, I do alot of text and graphics editing. Guess what I use ALOT? That's right, ctrl. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying. I've had three network admins who run 40,000+ user networks, several other techs, and a high level support work for a major oil company take a look at getting the ctrl to STOP popping up I.E.

Nobody can fix this. I've been told to re-install the OS. Everything else is fine though, ONLY ctrl does this.

Help?

I'm stumped. I'm ready to re-install.

The only possible thing I could think of is the shortcut keys on your IE shortcut have been somehow defined as the Ctrl key. I didn't think this was possible, but it would be worth checking the properties of your shortcuts.

Nice choice of vehicles by the way.

Turn the machine off. Turn the keyboard upside down, and shake the fsck out of it. Watch all the nasty crud fall out. Turn the machine back on, and give it a whirl. I've seen this before with a sticking key, or something stuck under a key. Also(like was stated) you can right-click on your IE shortcut, and look at the shortcut key properties. Highlight whatever is there, and delete it.

NewBlackDak said:
Turn the machine off. Turn the keyboard upside down, and shake the fsck out of it. Watch all the nasty crud fall out. Turn the machine back on, and give it a whirl. I've seen this before with a sticking key, or something stuck under a key. Also(like was stated) you can right-click on your IE shortcut, and look at the shortcut key properties. Highlight whatever is there, and delete it.
I agree. Try a different keyboard. It is the nature of computer geeks to look for software problems first when many times the problem is a simple hardware issue. I have seen guys reinstall an os, only to later discover that their cpu fan was going bad.

If you have the time, and decide you have to reinstall, consider ghosting the drive first.

This way, if it wasn't a software problem, you don't have to reinstall and Windows Update everything.

Huggles said:
I thought I knew alot about computers.

Sorry to be an asshole, but alot is not a word... "a lot" is two words.

Kelvie said:
If you have the time, and decide you have to reinstall, consider ghosting the drive first.

This way, if it wasn't a software problem, you don't have to reinstall and Windows Update everything.

Sorry to be an asshole, but alot is not a word... "a lot" is two words.

Oops. :p

Yeah, I've tried pretty much well everything, including what's suggested above. NOTHING fixes this.

I'm ready to pull my hair out.

I'd just reinstall the OS. So many people avoid this like the plague. This would probably pull double duty: it probably will fix your problem, and it will clean up the OS (registry).

Not sure if this will fix your issue, but go to Accessibility options in the control panel and see if you have Sticky Keys enabled. I belive that allows you to set a single key to start an app. Being that you use the CTRL key a lot, you might have accedentaly set it to open IE.

Just a thought...

Ideas:
Try going to internet opoins and changing homepage to blank and see what happens.
Try uninstalling keyboard from device manager and reboot.Maybe the driver got messed up.

I'd check to see if there are any hidden IE shortcuts on your desktop. Even if it's hidden on the desktop someplace and configured for "hot keys" then it will run.
The only way I know to get any program to start with only hitting ctrl would be to have some sort of app running that is binding ctrl and another character together. Someone could be pulling a really good prank on you. :D

Does it happen with both ctrl keys? Does it happen when you use the on-screen keyboard (KB shortcuts don't work here)? I assume you have tried a differen't Keyboard.

What kind of keyboard? Is it one with home page, email, search, etc. on the top? There may be a utility to configure what key does those things.

go into start menu -> run -> type: msconfig
then go under the SERVICES Tab and press HIDE ALL MICROSOFT services and uncheck everything. reboot

follow what other people on the board told you too.
Please update us

mosin said:
I agree. Try a different keyboard. It is the nature of computer geeks to look for software problems first when many times the problem is a simple hardware issue. I have seen guys reinstall an os, only to later discover that their cpu fan was going bad.

or reinstall an OS because they forgot there was a floppy in the FDD and there is no ntldr :p

W2K doesnt come with msconfig
but you can add it (since the OS wasnt specified)
http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm

EmbraceThePenguin said:
Not sure if this will fix your issue, but go to Accessibility options in the control panel and see if you have Sticky Keys enabled. I belive that allows you to set a single key to start an app. Being that you use the CTRL key a lot, you might have accedentaly set it to open IE.

Just a thought...

Just hold the left shift key down long enough and it should disable sticky keys anyways.

To turn off all that junk (for the 99.9% of the world who doesn't need them) go into control panel-accessibility options-keyboard. In this tab there are three 'settings' buttons, open each and uncheck use option. This will prevent the 'hold for x seconds' and 'tap 5 times' to enable/disable.

Stickykeys=Shift x5
Filterkeys=Shift for 8 seconds
Togglekeys=Numlock for 5 seconds.

Ice Czar said:
or reinstall an OS because they forgot there was a floppy in the FDD and there is no ntldr :p
Did you actually do that? ;)
Phoenix86 said:
To turn off all that junk (for the 99.9% of the world who doesn't need them) go into control panel-accessibility options-keyboard. In this tab there are three 'settings' buttons, open each and uncheck use option. This will prevent the 'hold for x seconds' and 'tap 5 times' to enable/disable.

Stickykeys=Shift x5
Filterkeys=Shift for 8 seconds
Togglekeys=Numlock for 5 seconds.
Good idea!

mosin said:
Did you actually do that? ;)

recently :p :rolleyes:

even the old schoolers get tripped up on occassion
ask any mechanic its the simple stuff that trips up troubleshooting
couldnt see the forest for the trees

In my case I was short on sleep, and had just finished an install
added SP2, and then no ntldr, I jumped to a conclusion and reformated
wipping 6 hours of ap installation and tweaking
only still no ntldr :p DOH

Well, I tried everything mentioned in this thread. Closed everything, booted in safe mode, etc etc etc. Nothing I did stopped the IE window from popping up. I re-installed my OS and now it works fine.

What's odd is that I had ran a load of Windows Updates RIGHT before this annoying crap started.

>sigh< Winblows...

Nothing is worse than crouching for 8 seconds and seeing that damned sticky keys pop-up and ruining my headshot. :D

Huggles said:
Well, I tried everything mentioned in this thread. Closed everything, booted in safe mode, etc etc etc. Nothing I did stopped the IE window from popping up. I re-installed my OS and now it works fine.

What's odd is that I had ran a load of Windows Updates RIGHT before this annoying crap started.

>sigh< Winblows...
I'm happy that you got it fixed, and I won't tell you...or Ice Czar....what I did. :D

Any way to turn sticky keys off totally? I never use it, and have similar problem as Phoenix86 with it (just in Civ3).

Go into Control Panel under Accessibility Options.

You can turn off Sticky Keys, Filter Keys, and Toggle Keys there and disable the shortcuts to turn them on.

I go there and turn off the shortcuts the first time I sit down at any strange computer. Whoever decided that the shortcuts for turning on the Accessibility Options should be enabled by default should be smacked in the head with a rubber chicken fired out of an air cannon. :D

Huggles said:

>sigh< Winblows...
So, you're saying you tried with a different keyboard before you reinstalled?

Mikke_EAF331 said:
Any way to turn sticky keys off totally? I never use it, and have similar problem as Phoenix86 with it (just in Civ3).
Solution? Read my other post that says 'to turn off all that junk...' ;)

hoever decided that the shortcuts for turning on the Accessibility Options should be enabled by default should be smacked in the head with a rubber chicken fired out of an air cannon.
Unfortunatly I have to agree with MS on this one. See these features are for people with disabilities, like having only one hand (sticky keys), or very-very uncoordinated people (filter keys). These people can't simply turn these features on by using the computer, that's the whole problem. They have to be able to walk up to a machine, and hold a button down, or tap a button several times, to activate these options so the CAN use the computer. If the option was disabled, handicap people wouldn't be able to turn it on.

Normal people can turn it off, however...

Back