Epic Marketing Meltdown of the Day

So some dude orders video game controllers, finds out the date they'll arrive isn't correct and then the two douchemonkeys proceed to get into a verbal squabble. Controllers...

Marketing folk are self-absorbed and clueless. Yes, we knew that.
People like to unnecessarily instigate shit over the internet. Not a shocker.

Why is this thread 16 pages long? For the life of me I can't figure it out.

You left out the part where he finds out he's paying more for it than other people, and all he has to show for it is the "company's appreciation."

That's a pretty big factor in all of this. Even in an industry with much more volatile pricing like airlines, they'll price match themselves.

You left out the part where he finds out he's paying more for it than other people, and all he has to show for it is the "company's appreciation."

That's a pretty big factor in all of this. Even in an industry with much more volatile pricing like airlines, they'll price match themselves.

But other than being a huge red flag, which it seems it was, wouldn't it warrant a "No thank you, I want my money back," response? Instead they go back and forth with personal attacks and chest-pounding akin to two silverback gorillas.

Thanks egg, haha ;)

But other than being a huge red flag, which it seems it was, wouldn't it warrant a "No thank you, I want my money back," response? Instead they go back and forth with personal attacks and chest-pounding akin to two silverback gorillas.

Thanks egg, haha ;)

He probably would have just asked for his money back,if Paul had not thrown in the Ebay remark.He was supposed to be the mature.responsible professional in this exchange,and he was far from it,so he gets the most blame. And silverbacks probably would have handled this whole thing better,they seldom get as vicious as this has.

So some dude orders video game controllers, finds out the date they'll arrive isn't correct and then the two douchemonkeys proceed to get into a verbal squabble. Controllers...

Marketing folk are self-absorbed and clueless. Yes, we knew that.
People like to unnecessarily instigate shit over the internet. Not a shocker.

Why is this thread 16 pages long? For the life of me I can't figure it out.

Probably for three general reasons this topic is interesting:

1- As a customer service rep/PR/marketing/professional, Paul should have specifically defused the situation and handled it like he was paid to do. Dave clearly picked a fight and was antagonistic, but Paul should have dealt with that, especially when your firm is clearly not meeting expectations.

2- Everyone has had awful experiences, and everyone wishes they could 'expose' their awful experiences to get their just desserts/justice. We all live a little bit through this process and empathize.

3- I certainly wouldn't want this guy, as a customer service rep, opposite me, as a customer. Exposure culls the herd, hopefully.

If Paul had been apologetic and sincere early on (or just not an idiot in the first place), I really doubt this would have come to such a head. If nothing else, it would have been swallowed up in 24 hours and forgotten, rather than drawn out like it is.

For this thread being 16 pages, really it's a few trolls being themselves argumentative just for the sake of such. Given any reasonably popular topic, they'll stand on the opposite side of the general stance and smugly argue until they're the last one posting, thus assuring victory over the mindless heathens.

I'm sorry to bring up a not yet dead subject, but this guy does not STOP!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114994-Ocean-Marketing-Attempts-To-Extort-Former-Client

The line in that article that astounded me the most is where he contends that " the PR debacle he created as proof that he "made the company a success", citing all the media and public attention as the "best thing that ever happened to Avenger". What fantasy world is this guy living in? The negative reviews the company has gotten from this sure hasn't helped them,their own record of postponed orders and missed release dates has been called into question. It certainly wasn't very smart of them to allow this jerk to be in a position where he could hold those e-mail and Twitter accounts hostage.

Google results for "ocean marketing" is all references to this mess except one link to Ocean's web site, which is currently down. This guy will never again be able to attach his name to a business in the gaming or marketing industry. Professional suicide at it's best.

I wonder if they people that try to defend Paul are truly sincere about it or if they're just trolling or looking for more page hits - http://kotaku.com/5872042/a-beatdown-where-no-one-threw-the-first-punch

I find it rather fascinating someone else came to the same conclusions I did. I guess everyone is going to say he's trolling as well. In any event, I've ordered more tar & feathers so that Paul can get his fair share. The bit about holding the e-mails captive, while to me it screams of someone afraid of the world, trying to hold on to whatever he can grasp to stay afloat while we all drown him, it's inexcusable in so many ways.

I find it rather fascinating someone else came to the same conclusions I did. I guess everyone is going to say he's trolling as well. In any event, I've ordered more tar & feathers so that Paul can get his fair share. The bit about holding the e-mails captive, while to me it screams of someone afraid of the world, trying to hold on to whatever he can grasp to stay afloat while we all drown him, it's inexcusable in so many ways.

There are nearly 7 billion people on the planet. Odds are someone has thought of the same thing you have. Then again, 20% of americans still think the sun orbits the earth so like mindedness does not equal a good thing.

There are nearly 7 billion people on the planet. Odds are someone has thought of the same thing you have. Then again, 20% of americans still think the sun orbits the earth so like mindedness does not equal a good thing.

The difference between using reason to think about a situation and form one's own conclusions, and accepting conclusions that have already been formed and accepted by a great deal of people, are two different things. Frankly, if using reason to form those conclusions put's me in a minority I'll take that anytime over being sheep to the more common ideas people grasp onto without really thinking about it. After all, progress never occurs when people simply accept commonly held opinions around them as what's moral or factual. Ignorance, hate, and emotional tides that destroy others with little to no morality as their basis will continue, will perpetuate unhindered, so long as people accept the opinions and views of those around them who are party to it. I find myself in good company, with those who decide to stop and think and decide when it's appropriate to oppose this cycle of madness so many simply accept.

I just looked at it different because I approached this situation objectively (I have no ties nor do I use emotions to form a conclusion.). I understand that my opinion in this matter is the minority but I'm ok with it. I just refuse to crucify one without shining light on the childish deeds of others. Paul was a flat out jerk in this situation, but if you would have looked at this without forming conclusions based off of what was in the post, it would be noticed that Dave was the instigator. I know how it is to be in that situation, and the things that I had coming was worth a lot more than $50 but I can say that the situation was handled a little. Quite honestly, customer service treated me worse than this but it is what it is. And to get upset because a discount was given after you purchased it. Come on man; grow up. If I could count all of the times that I bought something on Newegg and 2 days later, the price drop $15 - $20 (still thinking about my x3 740..lol). And then Dave runs to Gabe and he came in with the "more important than you...look at my cojones" approach. I just don't excuse any childish behavior from anyone....whatever...lol.

If I could count all of the times that I bought something on Newegg and 2 days later, the price drop $15 - $20 (still thinking about my x3 740..lol). And then Dave runs to Gabe and he came in with the "more important than you...look at my cojones" approach. I just don't excuse any childish behavior from anyone....whatever...lol.

did they price drop it before it shipped and did they tell you they'd cancel both your orders and ebay your stuff if you tried to cancel/re-order for the discount?

did they price drop it before it shipped and did they tell you they'd cancel both your orders and ebay your stuff if you tried to cancel/re-order for the discount?

The price drops always occurred with Newegg, and with the x3 740, the processor left the same day that the price change occurred and it was nothing that could really be done about it because when I committed to buy, I bought it at the advertised price. I understand that. And it would be foolish of me to cancel an order in hopes of a repurchase, especially on a back ordered item. If you cancel an order that is back ordered, you effectively gave up your right to getting that product and whoever was behind takes your place. I don't agree with how Paul responded; it was plain stupid but so it canceling a back ordered product for the sake of $10 (it's not a stupid as Paul but you know what I'm saying..lol)

The price drops always occurred with Newegg, and with the x3 740, the processor left the same day that the price change occurred and it was nothing that could really be done about it because when I committed to buy, I bought it at the advertised price. I understand that. And it would be foolish of me to cancel an order in hopes of a repurchase, especially on a back ordered item. If you cancel an order that is back ordered, you effectively gave up your right to getting that product and whoever was behind takes your place. I don't agree with how Paul responded; it was plain stupid but so it canceling a back ordered product for the sake of $10 (it's not a stupid as Paul but you know what I'm saying..lol)

Uh... the Newegg Iron Egg guarantee is exactly what you're talking about. They do post-sale price matching during the holiday season and extend the return period to 2 months.

Amazon customer service, as much as people complain about being redirected to India, has the power to do post-sale price matching and for a pre-order like in this case, they 100% would've price matched.

Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, or DVD, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the release date. The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change.

I'm pretty sure Best Buy and others do it too.

Your policy as a consumer should be "it never hurts to ask."

Just because you've lost out on price updates by being passive doesn't mean it should be the norm.

I don't look at it as being passive but when I buy at a price, I buy at that price; not the discounted price that came after my purchase. If Newegg had some kind of policy regarding it, then maybe yeah, but I won't cause a "scene" over $20 bucks. My only policy as a consumer is I should get what I paid for.

Hell, with Amazon, I preordered the BSG Blu-Ray set months in advance...the price dropped while I was waiting for it to be released, and they lowered my purchase price to match the new price without me even asking for it.

A $10 price drop on a $50 controller is a 20% difference. The customer was perfectly reasonable to ask for that credit.

Hell, with Amazon, I preordered the BSG Blu-Ray set months in advance...the price dropped while I was waiting for it to be released, and they lowered my purchase price to match the new price without me even asking for it.

A $10 price drop on a $50 controller is a 20% difference. The customer was perfectly reasonable to ask for that credit.

I think the sparks started with the way that he asked. But that's just how it's read.

And the reason you stated is the reason I purchase more things from Amazon than Newegg now.

I don't look at it as being passive but when I buy at a price, I buy at that price; not the discounted price that came after my purchase. If Newegg had some kind of policy regarding it, then maybe yeah, but I won't cause a "scene" over $20 bucks. My only policy as a consumer is I should get what I paid for.
When you go to a restaurant and want to have a steak and baked potato but the steak only comes with fries, do you just order an extra side of a baked potato?

Back on topic: Everything appears to have been settled. http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/30/9837665-disgraced-gamer-pr-guy-says-uncle

While they don't say it, it may be that N-Control paid the guy to turn over the website, e-mails and other vitural assets.

Here is what a press release from the new marketing firm has to say:
"N-Control and I do not detract or take back the statements made on Reddit, but the situation has changed substantially since the ... story was written," said Chiullan in the email to msnbc.com. "We have come to an understanding with Mr. Christoforo regarding the assets and records in question, and he is being very forthcoming in restoring our access across the board. He wants all of this to stop, and so do we. We're glad that all concerned are going into the new year on the right footing."

What I see as the most astounding part of all of this is that he still does not understand that he did anything wrong!

Actually i dont think that they paid him, i think that the legal threat made public with his level of stupidity when asking for ransom on the assets finally made him cave in.

Maybe a RL friend or family saw it and let him know all kinds of fubared he would be if taken to court.

When you go to a restaurant and want to have a steak and baked potato but the steak only comes with fries, do you just order an extra side of a baked potato?

???

If it is notated that the steak only comes with fries, then I could respectfully ask to substitute and pay extra if required. Most restaurants usually have a list of things you can substitute for and extra cost, if necessary.

*shrugs*

???

If it is notated that the steak only comes with fries, then I could respectfully ask to substitute and pay extra if required. Most restaurants usually have a list of things you can substitute for and extra cost, if necessary.

*shrugs*

But you said you accept the exact stated terms of what's written, earlier.

That falls in line with what is written...

I have literally never seen a written statement on a menu saying an item may be substituted for other side items. The closest they come is something like "soup or salad," yet regardless of not being written, everyone knows that you can substitute sides for an equally priced side item or pay the difference.

I have literally never seen a written statement on a menu saying an item may be substituted for other side items. The closest they come is something like "soup or salad," yet regardless of not being written, everyone knows that you can substitute sides for an equally priced side item or pay the difference.

I substitute stuff in combo's at chinese places all the time, you just pay the difference and thats all.

I have, theres a restauraunt in my town that has it right on the menu "A $1 fee will be added to your bill for making any substitutions" And of course it has to be a chinese resturaunt so you always want to change this or that on a combo. if it wasnt for their weekday lunch and weekend supper buffets I'd never go there :p

If Paul had been apologetic and sincere early on (or just not an idiot in the first place), I really doubt this would have come to such a head. If nothing else, it would have been swallowed up in 24 hours and forgotten, rather than drawn out like it is.

Agreed. Even with the douchebag level rising so high, I'm surprised it hasn't been forgotten already.

Mob media memory usually doesn't last long. I guess the next bandwagon is traveling in too slow.

If the third e-mail in the exchange would have been:

You know dude, I'm sorry. I'm having a bad day, I am super stressed over product delays and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. Let me get you that $10 discount everyone else is getting and, to show my sincerity, I am including an a 50% coupon for your next order and a t-shirt. I will personally let you know when your order ships.

That is a bare minimum excuse / apology and you know what? It would've worked.

If the third e-mail in the exchange would have been:

Ya know bro, I'm sarry. I'm have a bad day, I am super stresed over product delay and I should'nt have takin it out on you bro. Let me get you that $10 discownt every1 else is getting and to show my sencirity, I am include an a 50% coupon for your next order and a t-shirt. I will personally let you know when your order ships.

That is a bare minimum excuse / apology and you know what? It would've worked.

The email would have read more like the above (to be a dick, I'll point out that you used "I am including an a 50% coupon". :p)

Back