Engenius WDS Access point setup - What am I doing wrong?

QuiteSufficient

Sufficiently [H]ard
I am trying to get a WDS setup going to extend my wireless network from my garage to my workshop.

Here is a terrible ms paint:

d5fc410be4598efaf8f0b267050bf44f.jpg

Both of these units are Engenius ENS202 - this unit does specifically advertise or mention a repeater function...is that where I am going wrong?

The main AP in the garage is attached to the router and has a static ip of 192.168.1.20, uses the router as a gateway, and public DNS. It works great. I have it set to WDS Access Point mode in the Engenius setup, then under WDS Link I have the MAC address of the second access point set to Enable.

This first AP sees the second AP and under WDS Link says the Link is "UP"

The second AP is in the workshop and is not connected to the LAN. It has a static of 192.168.1.21, uses the router as a gateway (should the first AP be the gateway??), and public DNS. I have the wireless settings and security on both units identical except for the Channel (5 and 3). I also have this unit in WDS Access Point Mode. While it is hooked up to the LAN it works, and it pushes out the wifi network. I have the MAC of the first AP under the WDS link settings and set to Enable but under WDS Links it says the conncetion is DOWN (even though the first unit says it is UP).

Once I disconnect the second unit from the LAN it will not connect to the internet.

Any ideas? Do I have them in the wrong mode? Will these units even support the functionality I am looking for? I want the second unit to extend the wireless network so that the signal is better in the workshop. Thanks everyone

What is WDS?
WDS is commonly referred to as Windows Deployment Services.

Both APs need to be on the same channel for WDS to work.

The router;s IP is the gateway.

WDS is an acronym equipment manufacturers use for Wireless Distribution System

Thanks I will try the same channel in the morning...I thought that would be counterproductive for some reason.

Back