Enermax Liberty

Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
517
I bought the 620 watt version to power 12 hard drives. Unfortunately there are not enough plugs for everything. The case has a lot of large 120mm fans which can't be run from the mobo headers... so my only option is to have y spitters on yeah line. So that would be 4 harddrives per line. The book recommends against this... Is this actually possible with this power supply? Should I risk it? If I do decide to run it that way, what can get damaged?
 
Should be alright with hard drives. They aren't the most demanding components you could have pulling power.
 
So.... I have 1 cable.. .it is split into 4 connectors, 2 sata and 2 molex. You are suppose to use either one or the other. So what I did was y split each molex into sata connectors, totally 4 sata plugs on each line. So basically I have done that 3 times, 12 drives, and each line has the strain of 4 drives and a 12cm fan... forgot to mention that is in there as well. Is that too much? If so, how are people running 12 hard drives these days?
 
civic00typer said:
So.... I have 1 cable.. .it is split into 4 connectors, 2 sata and 2 molex. You are suppose to use either one or the other. So what I did was y split each molex into sata connectors, totally 4 sata plugs on each line. So basically I have done that 3 times, 12 drives, and each line has the strain of 4 drives and a 12cm fan... forgot to mention that is in there as well. Is that too much? If so, how are people running 12 hard drives these days?

I don't think it will be a problem. SATA actually uses less power than older PATA drives do. I've routinely seen 4 drives and fans on one cable. Or worse, I've seen two drives and an X800XT powered off of one cable. If a cheap ass PSU can handle that, you'll be fine.
 
Back
Top