Element 46" LCD tv - ELDFW464

paco

Gawd
Joined
Feb 3, 2003
Messages
952
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Element-ELDFW464/17188433
Did anyone else pickup this tv from Walmart the last month or 2? Just got one from my parents. Haven't hooked it up yet. It is, sadly, my first HD tv. It's replacing a 27inch tube tv.

How is it? For a first time HD'er I think it'll be fine for me. No plans on heavy gaming. Just TV and movies. Might play the Wii on it from time to time.

I know the 1 major downfall people see is that it is only 60hz.
 
It'll probably look really nice. It'll 99% likely have a VA panel with decent viewing angles and high contrast / good blacks etc. I imagine it won't have tons of image processing so input lag should be decent. It'll have a CCFL backlight which likely means less backlight bleed or clouding than edge-lit LED. 60hz shouldn't be as bad as you think.

The jumbo 46" size will allow you to sit pretty far back if you want.

You should be pretty ok with it i think, you'll probably really like it.
 
thanks for the input. Got it setup tonight. It looks a little fuzzy/washed out of the box. But I also don't have HD service yet, so I expect it to get better once we have that going.

Any suggestions on either paying someone to calibrate it or self calibrating? This is something I know nothing about, but want to get the best picture I can.

I know my dad paid the Geek Squad a good chunk to calibrate his and was very happy with it. This one, he bought for me from Walmart, so no option like that. Any chance Dish would help with this?
 
thanks for the input.

Any chance Dish would help with this?
NP

Most HDTV's look bad with standard service. HD service, or even HTPC media, would make a world of difference.

You could try asking the Dish guy that comes out, but they're usually independant contractors who are in a rush, and may just throw any settings up there that make sense to him, just to earn an extra tip from you. Personally i would go with the neutral pre-sets and tweak ever so slightly from there. Color temp = neutral/6500k. Picture mode = standard or maybe cinema. The vague settings, like noise reduction etc, i would try one by one to see what effect they have, sometimes they "work" and sometimes they make the picture worse (i often disable many of them). You can try searching for other people's settings online but i don't think you'll find too much forum feedback on that model, you may be on your own in other words.
 
NP

Most HDTV's look bad with standard service. HD service, or even HTPC media, would make a world of difference.

You could try asking the Dish guy that comes out, but they're usually independant contractors who are in a rush, and may just throw any settings up there that make sense to him, just to earn an extra tip from you. Personally i would go with the neutral pre-sets and tweak ever so slightly from there. Color temp = neutral/6500k. Picture mode = standard or maybe cinema. The vague settings, like noise reduction etc, i would try one by one to see what effect they have, sometimes they "work" and sometimes they make the picture worse (i often disable many of them). You can try searching for other people's settings online but i don't think you'll find too much forum feedback on that model, you may be on your own in other words.

On my own. Think that's where I am. But that's cool. I found an AV forum that had a free calibration tool to download, so I may try that.

Going to wait until I talk to Dish and get HD going and see what happens. Frankly, it doesn't look bad, just different than I'm used to. Will tweak over time. Thanks again.
 
Back
Top