Electrical help...

OSUguy98

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2006
I have a couple fish tanks at home, which have a light, and air pump.... The lights and the air pump are not on 24/7, I have cheap timers to control them... As it stands, I have 2 dead timers (total so far = ~6 dead over the past few years).... Now, I don't mind spending $3 here and there for a timer, but I keep thinking there is an easier, more reliable way to do this..... Not to mention the space issues of having multiple timers......... So I started looking for more sophisticated timers, even some tailored for marine aquariums, but they don't really fit my needs as well as I'd like.......

My idea, (and I know this already exists in the world.... for roughly $1000...) is to use a USB or Ethernet interface to control the power to each outlet in a power strip........ I found a USB I/O Module and an Ethernet I/O Module which are fairly pricey.... And also a Relay board which looks like it would fit the bill...... It pretty much looks like overkill in every way, shape, and form....... each module has 24 I/O ports, and I'd only need 4 or 8.....

Is there a better/cheaper/easier/faster way to do this? The thing I like about the Ethernet module is that it'll pick up an IP address from a router, which comes in handy because I won't have to keep a PC within a couple few of the Fish tanks..... I need to quit brainstorming about these things.... this stuff gets expensive.... lol

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

The reliability may be questionable, but I think the disposable $3 timers are going to be hard to beat on the easier/faster/cheaper fronts.

The modules you've found offer known working hardware, but are going to cost more. I think I've seen usb IO boards for less, but I'll have to poke around to remember who sold them.

If you have some electronics experience and have ever contemplated a µcontroller project, this would make a fine one :D You could build a custom timer panel for significantly less than the modules linked above. I've got a couple links regarding Picaxe and avr controllers in the LCD thread here if you're interested.

I have some electronics experience.... mainly with HO scale trains... (wiring constant lighting, reversing lights/etc).... nothing to do with DCC though.....

I'll take a look in that thread.... As for building my own timing circuit/etc... I've seen stuff about 555 timers, but I don't know enough to piece together what I'd need to make it all work.....

Idealy, I'd like something that's just as easy to change the times on as one of those $3 timers... but MUCH more reliable.... Maybe I should just suck it up and buy one of these... The only real problem with those is that the Blue plugs are on only with the grey plugs are off, and vice versa..... so it alternates.... which doesn't work too well because there are times when the lights and pumps need to be off.....

thanks for the help/etc

I guess you *could* use a 555 timer....you'd need a fairly hefty-sized capacitor and high-value resistor to get a time constant long enough. 555 timer circuits are usually used for higher-speed applications. However, it's simpler than delving into the world of uControllers (agent420, how did you put the mu in there?), and could conceivably work.

Let's see, a tau of, say 8 hours would be .....<mutters under breath>....you'd need more than a 2200uF capacitor and 10MOhm resistor. That's nothing to sniff at. But it might be worth a shot. In any case, it's just a few bucks in parts.

555 timer might be fun to experiiment with, but add in the cost of relay etc. and you're probably exceeded the $3 timer, with far less versatility (such as the ability to set exact times etc.)

Sounds like an off-the-shelf timer is your best bet.

it would be interesting to find out how/why exactly these cheap timers failed. Blown capacitor? Some mechanical part busted? Blown fuse?

I'm not sure why they failed... I'll rip one apart when I get home tonight... There is a rattle in one of them so a plastic peice probably broke, but the other failed one doesn't rattle... I may cannabilize these things.... If I could make a disc that had 3 different rings of times, then I could have it trip 3 different outlets..... which is all I want right now..... I may have to try that.............................

If I wanted a timer to control one thing, I would...... I want a timer that can control multiple things.....

You can use an X 10 type controller with a USB interface to do what you want and it should cost less than $100. Check out Smarthome, Activehome and other similar sites.

Personally, if I were you... I'd get a Parallel relay board (or a serial one, but they're more expensive) and write a program to control it.

You could even interface your program over the network and control your fish tank from anywhere around the world...

Controlling the Parallel port is very easy from within windows, and the relay boards can be had for like 30$ pre-assembled.

There's probably $10 worth of components on that USB I/O board... but like someone else said, it's going into the terrority of programming microcontrollers. Would be an excellent project if you've got some experience in that type of thing, but way more complex than you wanna think about if not.

I'd assume some type of parallel interface would be relatively cheap to fabricate or buy and somewhat easy to interface to within windows. (I say somewhat becuase windows seems to protect the parallel port a lot more than they protect that serial port... can be tricky for a first timer)

The x10 controller is a good idea too, but again, it's on the pricey side...

If the air pump and lights are on at the same time, a better timer combined with a cheap relay board might do what you're looking for.

If you're willing to solder yourself, relay boards can be had for cheap.

upriverpaddler said:
Check out kitsrus.com for a great list of hobby electronics. They do not sell directly to the public, but you can google their kit umbers to find dealers.

Kit 74 is what you may be looking for. It is a parallel port controller with 8 110vac relays.
Problem with the p port is you need to dedicate a pc, running 24/7.

I'd almost even consider getting an old Vic20 or C64 to run in the same fashion... Smaller and would use less power.

agent420 said:
Problem with the p port is you need to dedicate a pc, running 24/7.

running a PC 24/7 wouldn't be a problem at all.... I run Folding@Home, so they're all on 24/7 anyhow....

I'll have to look through all this stuff.... Over the past 2 weeks, I've gotten married, bought a house and went on my honeymoon...... so things have been a little hectic....

OSUguy98 said:
running a PC 24/7 wouldn't be a problem at all.... I run Folding@Home, so they're all on 24/7 anyhow....

I'll have to look through all this stuff.... Over the past 2 weeks, I've gotten married, bought a house and went on my honeymoon...... so things have been a little hectic....

always the cliche overused excuses for why you havn't been keeping up with your hobbies.. :rolleyes:

jk. congradulations man :p

Back