EE or EET?

powerman

Gawd
Right now I am taking EET and CET in college. I am thinking of changing to EE. When I am taking EET, I can also take CET so I will end up with two degrees. I know that EE is more respectable, but exactly how much more respectable is it? The university that i go to offers both degrees so I wouldn't have to relocate and the tuition would be the same.

I found the first quarter to be very easy and the second quarter is somewhat more difficult, but still easy. I am a little worried that I might not be able to make it at an EE degree but I'm not exactly sure how difficult it is compared to an EET program.

If I got a degree in EET, is it likely that the university would tranfer over most of classes I took for EET to EE? I definately don't want to go to college for ever. :rolleyes: An EE degree is now five years and so is the EET degree. 10 years is definately too many.

I am interested in programming PLCs much more than building circuits. In general, I prefer software much more than hardware. I am mainly interested in writing firmware and PC or PDA software to go along with it. For a firmware position like this, does the extra T make that much of a difference? Thanks for any input.

I am interested in programming PLCs much more than building circuits. In general, I prefer software much more than hardware. I am mainly interested in writing firmware and PC or PDA software to go along with it. For a firmware position like this, does the extra T make that much of a difference? Thanks for any input.

Why not do computer engineering then?

If you're planning on doing software for PDA type stuff, you're probably gonna be responsible in some form for hardware / ASIC design. I'd say do computer engineering. Programming + HDL, and the professional status to boot.

I'm an EE, and I work along side a bunch of EET's / CET's... and their job is technician stuff. Generally hands-on stuff, but the designing is mainly done by the EE's and CE's.

That's the big difference (as far as I know) between EE and EET. The EEs are the guys who design the stuff, and the EETs are the guys who build them. Am I correct in saying this (as a general rule)?

edit: The following paragraph turned out to be false.

I'm currently in an Electrical Engineering / Comp. Sci dual degree program here. We don't have a "Computer Engineering" program here, because in Canada there are a piles of hoops you have to go through to call something an "engineering" program, and there's only one university in the entire country that actually has a Computer Engineering program recognized by the Candian Council of Professional Engineers.

<end false information>

yea, EE sits down and works out the math

EET makes the shit work in the real world. EET is more hands on, which is the area i'm interested in. i'm an EET major...

where an EET learns the resistor, how to use and apply it, the EE learns how to make the resistor if he wishes.

Originally posted by fat-tony
That's the big difference (as far as I know) between EE and EET. The EEs are the guys who design the stuff, and the EETs are the guys who build them. Am I correct in saying this (as a general rule)?

I'm currently in an Electrical Engineering / Comp. Sci dual degree program here. We don't have a "Computer Engineering" program here, because in Canada there are a piles of hoops you have to go through to call something an "engineering" program, and there's only one university in the entire country that actually has a Computer Engineering program recognized by the Candian Council of Professional Engineers.

You sure? the CE program at Memorial University of Nfld (where I'm from) is accredited... if our program is, then I'm sure the programs at Waterloo, Simon Fraiser and so forth have to be.

Originally posted by gee
You sure? the CE program at Memorial University of Nfld (where I'm from) is accredited... if our program is, then I'm sure the programs at Waterloo, Simon Fraiser and so forth have to be.

Looks like I'm wrong :)

I swear I read about this just the other day, but according to http://www.ccpe.ca/e/acc_programs_2.cfm there are several accredited Computer Engineering programs, although a lot of them are quite recent. I wonder where I saw that...

Edit: I think it must have been software engineering, which has only been recognized in Canada since 2001.

Yeah, I was about to say, I've got numerous friends doing comp eng. here at Queen's! :)

Yep, that's true... software engineering isn't an accredited program by the CCPE yet because no standards for such a program have been decided on yet by anyone.

As well, "software engineering" could be defined as a programming degree with a number of courses on ethics and other general engineering stuff thrown in. But in that case, it'd basically be a stripped down CE program.

There was a huge fiasco at Memorial University of Nfld., which happened when the administration created a program called "honours in software engineering" under the computer science faculty. The engineering faculty and the federal/provincial engineering boards flipped out, for some retarded reason the university trademarked the term "software engineering", and it ended up being brought to court...

Originally posted by gee
Yep, that's true... software engineering isn't an accredited program by the CCPE yet because no standards for such a program have been decided on yet by anyone.

Looks like there are a few accredited programs now, checking the link I had in my last post.

Back