for some odd reason I ended up in this subforum today and read this thread on Bit-perfect which has prompted a bunch of questions from my end, and rather than litter in someone else's thread more than I already have, it appeared smart to start a new one with all my questions/ concerns in one. Since I have a EE undergraduate degree, I am not complete ignorant when it comes to the sampling theorem etc, which may be the underlying reason for my question(s).
Most audio that I purchase (on CDs) is encoded in 44.1kHz. I am under the impression that most audio in PC games is supplied either as a .wav or as an mp3 file (hence that miles sound system and frauenhofer copyright notice), both of which are commonly sampled at 44.1kHz. If this is correct, why would someone want to upconvert that to 48kHz? The information content is not going to change. Is 48kHz required for certain receivers or to stream multi-channel audio or dolby digital signals? Basically, why is a 48kHz signal desirable, given a 44.1kHz source?
Most audio that I purchase (on CDs) is encoded in 44.1kHz. I am under the impression that most audio in PC games is supplied either as a .wav or as an mp3 file (hence that miles sound system and frauenhofer copyright notice), both of which are commonly sampled at 44.1kHz. If this is correct, why would someone want to upconvert that to 48kHz? The information content is not going to change. Is 48kHz required for certain receivers or to stream multi-channel audio or dolby digital signals? Basically, why is a 48kHz signal desirable, given a 44.1kHz source?