Earbuds, less than $100

semisonic9

Gawd
Joined
May 2, 2005
Messages
769
Cruised the sticky, just curious if anything new is happening or if there are any places one can recommend for me to get slightly more expensive buds under the $100 cap.

Ideally, I'd like to spend $40-60. Isolation is probably of higher value to me than overall sound quality, since these are for the gym and/or running and I'm not much of an Audiophile. I use Koss SB40s on the home rig and think they sound great, especially for the money.

-S
 
No love, huh?

Tried cruising HeadFi, but I find the posts there somewhat impenetrable. And some people are obviously overly invested in one particular brand, and view all others as something to be marginalized and destroyed.

-S
 
Just noticed your post.
Sorry for the delay. Personally, I bought both the Etyomotic Research er-6i pair for my sister-in-law during Christmas.

They're okay. I absolutely LOVE my Panasonic RP-HJE70 IEMs. They blow the Etyomotic ones away. Much better mids and lows. The Er-6i series is severely lacking in bass.

*edit* my bad, the HJE70's are actually IEMs and I will never go back to regular buds.
 
You can't do better than the Yuin PK-2 earbuds for the price. $80 and worth every penny. Everyone I let listen to them buys a pair.

Head-Fi can test your patience if you don't want to spend hours reading and culling the crap. I just saved you the time. :)
 
Yuin PK-3's sound amazing, and are $40. I haven't heard the PK-2's to compare with, but I'm sure they're even better.

Edit: If you're looking for isolation, would you consider IEMs instead of ear buds? They form a seal and block out noise much better than buds.
 
I love the etymotic sets. Very natural sound and very good reproduction. Not all like that type of sound though.

I love the isolation as well, better than any others I have tried.
 
Just noticed your post.
Sorry for the delay. Personally, I bought both the Etyomotic Research er-6i pair for my sister-in-law during Christmas.

They're okay. I absolutely LOVE my Panasonic RP-HJE70 IEMs. They blow the Etyomotic ones away. Much better mids and lows. The Er-6i series is severely lacking in bass.

*edit* my bad, the HJE70's are actually IEMs and I will never go back to regular buds.

Two things with the etymotics:
1) Make sure you had them broken in, they need some playtime to get to their best
2) Make sure you have a very good fit. I have had countless people say they suck only to not have them with a very good seal and proper positioning in their ear.

They are not lacking in bass at all if you have them broken in and put in properly. They have a fit different than most other IEMs, much tighter and much more sensitive to proper positioning (all IEMs are, but the etymotics especially). They also are insanely clear compared to most other things out there, so you really have to have a good clean source for them to sound great.
 
Back
Top