e2200 oc issues

ep3w

Gawd
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
694
This is my first build and OC, but before anyone asks I did read the overclocking sticky and many other things before starting out. I have an e2200 on a gigabyte ep35-ds3l and 2GB G. Skill DDR2 800 ram. The furthest I could get on the stock 1.325 volts was 2.65Ghz with about 4-6 hours of prime and excellent temps (load about 40C). This seems about what other people were getting. I have been trying to bump it up to 3Ghz on this chip which should be pretty acheivable but the only way I have gotten it stable is by using a vcore of 1.475, +.1 on the RAM, +.2 on the MCH and +.1 on the FSB. At 1.450v it errors out of prime within 20 seconds. I could probably run it with -.1V from that on 1.475 but in order to rule out other things I left it at that. Is there something I am missing here? I tried 300x10 and 273x11. That seems like a lot more voltage than normal to get to 3Ghz and it is similar at even about 2.9. Did I just get a bad chip? Temps are still below 50C at load. I have tried running the RAM at different multipliers while keeping it below 800mhz for now.
 
Unless you have a bad or poor-quality PSU, your E2200 might be a lackluster OCer. It reminds me of my Athlon XP 2100+ Palomino that wouldn't overclock even 1%...

In comparison, my E2140 on essentially the same board as yours (mine's a GA-P35-DS3L) runs at 3.0GHz (375x8) with no voltage increase (CPU at 1.313, RAM at 1.88, FSB at stock) on quality air-cooling
 
My PSU is a Corsair VX450 so its good quality and shout be more than enough for this system. I have an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro so cooling is not an issue even on higher voltages. I have heard alot of success stories on this board and your OC seems to be very good. Looks like I may just have a poor chip, but I will have to experiment a bit and see if I am just in some kind of dead spot or something.
 
Back
Top