E-Mail Server Woes

freezepc

Limp Gawd
Hello all,
I am working on a e-mail solution for a small 5-person office. Originally, we bought a domain and the host includes cpanel which, in turn, allows the creation and limited administration of e-mail accounts, however, users are limited to 10MB file attachments which is unacceptable, we must be able to send atleast 75MB attachments... so I used our file server to start an IIS smtp server for outgoing messages, but it was giving me a memory error so I installed hMailServer and not I am getting complaints about e-mails never arriving, etc...

Do I need to setup this server to handle the domain and receiving pop3 messages aswell?

Does anyone have experience with hMailServer and are there any FREE alternatives?

Thanks

XOR != OR said:
Just curious; Why do you need 75meg mail attachments?

QFT!. I hope you have explained to them emailing large attachments is not the most efficient way of sharing information.

What kind of files are they sending? Why are they 75MB? Can they be compressed?

Spartacus said:
Post the files to a website or FTP server. Then e-mail links to the files.
I have found it best to get the information first before offering the obvious solutions; A lot of software venders have their heads firmly implanted in their ass. So you will get odd setups that need some very very odd infrastructure to support them ( H2O net, I'm looking square at you ).

Not that i can see a need for a mail server to handle a 75meg file attachments; The logistics alone would suck. But you never know what some boneheaded developer crapped out on to a computer and slapped a sale sticker on.

XOR != OR said:
I have found it best to get the information first before offering the obvious solutions; A lot of software venders have their heads firmly implanted in their ass. So you will get odd setups that need some very very odd infrastructure to support them ( H2O net, I'm looking square at you ).

Not that i can see a need for a mail server to handle a 75meg file attachments; The logistics alone would suck. But you never know what some boneheaded developer crapped out on to a computer and slapped a sale sticker on.

The obvious solutions are generally the best solutions. :)

"All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one."

Without actually waiting for the reasoning behind the need for 75 MB attachments, I'll throw this into the mix ...
It's a free browser-based alternative to sending large files:
http://www.yousendit.com/

Basically, you upload a file (up to one GB) to their server, and an e-mail gets sent out with a http download link to the person you want to receive the file. It's worked well for files that are several hundred MB in size (video editing files, for example).

It will send an adverstisement along with the download link, but I haven't noticed an increase in spam to my account for it. Then again, you could always use a free e-mail account to send the notification to, and only use that free account for stuff like this (essentially a "junk drawer" e-mail address).

HTH !!

Like the above poster, I can vouch for yousendit.com; they're an absolute God-send when one of our ftp servers takes a crap.

Are the complaints you are getting coming from your users or external (non)recipients?

Is mail working internally?

Can you send to an account outside?

Can you receive from an outside account?

I'm sorry to throw Troubleshooting 101 at you, but the more detail you can give, the better suggestions we can offer.

Good luck.

SOLVED,
Thanks for everyone's help. I ended up teaching them how to use a public FTP server and send a link in their e-mail... I convinced them that it was a little more complicated on their end but it was easier for the person they were sending it to (and more polite) so thanks for all your help!

The situation was exacerbated by server issues with their recipient's e-mails (in their Asia offices)

Back