• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dying speakers?

Incinerator

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
252
ok, I've had these Altec Lansing VS2120 for a little more than 3 years now and I think they're starting to die. when I have them on I can always hear static, not regular static like when I turn the speakers all the way up, its more crackling and popping. Also, this happens a lot louder and more frequent when my browser (Firefox and IE) which is really weird.

So is this a sign of dying speakers? I was planning on getting new speakers this summer anyways, but I'm just wondering if these are actually dying.
 
possible, could also be a dirty/loose connection or a dirty volume switch
 
It is probably the result of unshielded cables / interferance. It sounds like your speakers are somehow picking up HDD access patterns. Usually this happens when an audio cable runs next to your HDD cables, though that suggests your speakers have a cable run through the inside of your case which is unlikely (unless you have an audio bay in the front of your case).

Try going to the Playback Volume Control panel in Windows (Control Panel (classic view) -> Sounds & Audio Devices -> Audio (tab) -> Sound Playback (section) Volume Button) and then make sure to MUTE the Microphone & Line-In & Mono-In things. You may need to go to Options->Properties and select all of the boxes under Playback to see them. What this fix does it make sure Line-In and Microphone inputs are not played back over the speakers, which is where most noise can be picked up. You can still record with a microphone, it just won't act as a PA when you do this.
 
Back
Top