• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dying CRT?

Doorbasher

n00b
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
32
Hey, I've been having an odd problem with my monitor. Well, actually, the first problem is that it just plain sucks. 2001-vintage 17" Dell E770s. The reason I really came here, though, is that the image cuts out now and then. Every once in a while, it'll go black for maybe a half second and then come back. When it started doing that this afternoon, I thought it was just an overheating problem -- the room was kind of warm and the sun was shining on it. But it hasn't let up, even though it's nighttime now and the room is cool, though the problem is less frequent now. I don't think it's the video card, as it's less than three months old, and lowering the clocks had no effect. (I once had a Ti4400 that puked pixels at default speeds, but rand fine when slowed down. But that card was old and beat up)

Is this monitor on it's last legs?
 
It's five years old and is undoubtedly out of warranty. I remember when my ancient NEC started cutting out on me... sometimes turning it off/on or rebooting would make it work again, but after a few times (and I had work to get done) I'd had enough and just went to Circuit City and picked up a new one.

If you've been looking for a reason to upgrade or switch to LCD, you've got the perfect excuse now. :)

If an LCD is too rich for your blood still, at least CRTs have come way down in price and the image quality is much better than what they used to be. This is what I got, it's a damn decent monitor and I was blown away at how much better it looked than the old NEC.
 
Yep, it's dying, mine made loud clicking sounds when it would do that, then one day it just flashed off and that was the end of it. Danged glad I got an LCD now and it went on sale this week so I even got $50- back from Best Buy.
 
Back
Top