DVD RW vs CD RW ?

erkan

Gawd
heeya

I just got a new dvd rw burner from newegg( lite on LDW-811S ). So far soo good, and I just copied my first dvd, wihtout a hitch( indiana jones). Anyways,
Besides just copying DVDs and backing up huge amounts of data, are there any other plus's of a dvd rw compared to a cdrw? For example, will it be easier for direct back ups of normal cd pc games, or just the same as a normal cd rw drive? anything else? thnx.

-paul

why would it be better? it uses the same technology to burn CDs as any other burner.

I think it is really up to the burner. I know that the speed of DVD burner burning CD-R are slower than the speed of CD burner burning CD-R. As for backuping normal PC games, I am not sure if you are able to backup a 2 CD PC game into 1 DVD PC game. Not too sure what software you would use to do such a thing.

I have the same drive and it burns CDs fine. There is nothing special about it, but it gets the job done without any drama.

I will tactfully point out that discussions of how to copy protected software and / or meida is very much agains the rules of the forum:
You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any illegal activity.
If this discussion goes down the path of "how do I copy my copy protected CD's / media" it will be locked.

Thanks - B.B.S.

Originally posted by erkan
heeya

I just got a new dvd rw burner from newegg( lite on LDW-811S ). So far soo good, and I just copied my first dvd, wihtout a hitch( indiana jones). Anyways,
Besides just copying DVDs and backing up huge amounts of data, are there any other plus's of a dvd rw compared to a cdrw? For example, will it be easier for direct back ups of normal cd pc games, or just the same as a normal cd rw drive? anything else? thnx.

-paul

I think you mean "backing up" dvds..

Your post reeks of warezdude'ing..

My main reason for using a dvd burner is the huge amounts of data, and the faster write and read speeds. My 4X dvd burner burns at 5.4mb/second across the entire disk. I don't own an 8x (waiting for dual layer) but at 10.8mb/second burn speed (and 21.6mb/second read) the performance profile of DvD's over CD's is incredible

a 56x reader (cd) can only read, at the very top of it's performance range.. 8.4mb/second (and it'll sound horrendous while doing it) but will average more like 3mb/second.

a 16X dvd reader (also variable speed, I realise) has 21.6 mb/second as it's top end.. but around 7mb as it's average (5-6x)

the fastest cd burners out there (52x) that I know of, can only burn 7.8mb /second at their top end (and seem to hover around 5mb) where i'm sure your 8x burner will at least maintain 6x or 8.1 mb/second.

Basically.. I can tag 4.2 gigs of data. Pop in one disk. Burn. and it will be done before I could get that 4 gigs onto the 6 CD's i'd need to archive the same amount of data.

This is why DUal layer dvd's and BD burners (which I'm gonna be beta testing-- WOOHOO!) are even nicer for me.

Got a new Plextor 708A is freaking incredible. 8X burning is much faster then I thought it would be. My CD burning collection was getting to the point were I simply could not wait for dual layer burners, plus I really wanted a DVD Burner for some time anyway. Check out the difference it made...

beforeafter.jpg

I got my DVD Burner sole-ly for Data Backup purposes. I can run Norton Ghost and image Hard Disks to a Bootable DVD for system recovery and not use like 6-7 CD-Rs.

Back