DVD RW Recomendations

DthInd

2[H]4U
I am in the market for a DVD burner, but really don't have any idea what features I am looking for.

I would like to ideally, be able to make backup copies of dvds that I own.

What hardware / software combinations work the best. Thanks.

I got a Lite-On 811s

you cna get one for 130$ about.

they'e awsome drives for the cash.

works great with nero.

i have a lite on dual format 8x dvd burner, works like a charm, originally 200 bux got it for 80 at office max what a deal :)

Lite-On 811S/851S, NEC-2500A (The TDK 880 is an OEM version of this..) and the Pioneer 107/Plex 708A are your best choices.

I have heard nothing but good about the "Plextor 708A" dual format 8x DVD burner. It is a little pricey compared to the others I think but, Plextor is a leader in cd burner and dvd burner technology, and have proved to be VERY reliable. So if you have the cash, buy this one. Otherwise, if you can find a deal like quiksiverx181 to get a LiteOn 8x for $80, then you should definately get it. Good Luck.

The plextor 708A is one sexy biatch. So fast and so quiet...

newplex.jpg

Another vote for the Plextor 708A, but be warned that it comes with the ass-tacular roxio suite instead of Nero. Currently the one day sale at newegg retail box $165.00 is a great price.

They haven't reviewed the NEC2500A or the Pioneer A07 yet.. both are as good or better than the Plextor when it comes to burn quality. Suggest you check out the CDFreaks Media Test Forum.

Originally posted by TechHead
Yeah, when competing drives are 40$ to 60$ cheaper
:rolleyes:

Sorry, let me qualify my remark:

"It was a good price for that particular drive in a retail box at that particular moment in time"

:D

Originally posted by TechHead
They haven't reviewed the NEC2500A or the Pioneer A07 yet.. both are as good or better than the Plextor when it comes to burn quality. Suggest you check out the CDFreaks Media Test Forum.

*WARNING: MISINFORMATION FOLLOWS*

the Pioneer is just a rebadged Plextor, correct? if so, you should be able to use the Pioneer firmware on the Plextor drive, which would make them pretty much the same.

/me wonders when the dual layer burners will hit the shelves...

Originally posted by felix88
the Pioneer is just a rebadged Plextor, correct? if so, you should be able to use the Pioneer firmware on the Plextor drive, which would make them pretty much the same.

/me wonders when the dual layer burners will hit the shelves...
NO. NONONONO. The Pioneer is NOT a rebadged Plextor, it's a completely different drive, hardware and firmware-wise. The only rebadge of that Plextor,IIRC, is the TDK 840G.

As for dual-layer, maybe you didn't see this thread ? The drive should be out by July.

oops, my bad. i knew someone rebadged the Plextor drive, and i was half asleep when i made that post.

and yeah, i saw that thread. i'll probably buy a 8x drive for now, and then when a good selection of the dual format burners start to turn up, i'll pick one up.

Back