dvd-rom & dvd-rw...which one primary?

TSx

Gawd
I've got a pioneer dvd-rw, 4x2x8 dvd & 16x8x32 cd as well as a pioneer dvd-rom, 16x40. I want the dvd-rom on top of my case since it's a slot drive, but I generally use the dvd-rw more often. Which one should I make my primary, and which one the slave? Does it really matter?

I think it's all opinion, but I use my LiteOn DVD as the primary because I game a lot. I have the DVD-+RW LiteOn as the slave.

A while ago when I had my writer as slave, I burnt quite a few coasters. I switched it over to master and everything was fine after that. Don't know what was up with it. I have always heard that it is a good idea to put the writers on master and the readers on slave.

I don't know if it really matters though. You can either set the jumpers to master/slave or on cable select. So even if you want the dvd-rom on top, just set the jumper as slave and set your dvd writer as master.

Doesn't the position on the ide cable affect master/slave also? I've always thought it did...could be a common misconception though.

i read somewhere that having two drives that try to speak to each other on the same cable hurts performance because ide cables can only go in one direction at a time. so i hook up my two drives on two cables, each of those cables have a cd drive and a Hard drive. i dunno if it's true but my hard drive to harddrive file transfers seem pretty quick or at least faster than it used to

TSx:

No, if you set both your drives to master and slave, then they'll do that respectively. It doesn't matter which position your put it on your ide cable unless you set your hard drives to Cable Select. Then the position matters.

mewannafastpc:

Yes, that is true.

You don't want to mix HDDs and optical drives on the same cable. I'm not so sure it really hurts performance anymore, but it certainly did. My one wish would be that the MYTH of having 2 optical drives on the same cable is bad would DIE. Please someone let it DIE! I used to do direct CD copying back when I had my 1x Mitsumi CD-R. It was never a problem, and certainly isn't today.

Originally posted by djnes
You don't want to mix HDDs and optical drives on the same cable. I'm not so sure it really hurts performance anymore, but it certainly did. My one wish would be that the MYTH of having 2 optical drives on the same cable is bad would DIE. Please someone let it DIE! I used to do direct CD copying back when I had my 1x Mitsumi CD-R. It was never a problem, and certainly isn't today.

well that was back in the day of 1X now we're goin on 52X which requires alot more data being transfered
and dvds goin at 8X gonna be transfering HUGE amounts of data so i think there would be a performance difference

an 8x DVD is transfering about 11MB/s, well below the 33MB/s overhead that a UDMA-33 cable provides.

the position on the cable shouldn't matter, but maybe you've got a picky drive.

Back