dvd drive +dvd burner == can't boot :(

ockky

n00b
(cliff notes at the bottom)

ok, i've been trying to install my new NEC 3550A dvd burner all night.

originally, i tried to install it as my 2nd dvd drive...the 1st being a lite-on dvd drive that i've had for awhile, but, when i attempted this, i got the following error: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

so i removed the dvd-burner, put my old cd-burner back in, and i boot right up. hrm, ok, so i try again. put the dvd-burner back in, take the cd-burner out, and again i get the error.

so, being the idiot that i am, i decide, "to hell with it, i'll just fix that error with my XP disk". so i copy alot of crap, delete alot of crap, rename crap, reboot, and bam, still have the same error. oh yea, i also tried running chkdsk but it did nothing also.

so, ok, i take out my dvd drive, leave the dvd-burner in and bam! i boot into windows no problem. er, ok, i reboot, this time with my dvd-burner in, and my cd-burner in and bam! boot into windows again. well hell, something has obviously fixed itself, so i reboot, put the dvd drive back in removing the cd-burner and bam! error...fvck!

specs:
asus av8 deluxe (bios up-to-date)
amd 3500+
1g RAM
2 seagate 7200rpm drives
ati x800pro
audigy
nec dvd-burner 3550a
cd-burner(works)/dvd drive(errors-out)
floppy drive
380 antec psu

i set the jumpers on the drives too, one to master, one to slave which didn't help, so i've put them both back to cable select at the moment

*CLIFFNOTES:
0: dvd-drive + cd-burner == boot to windows
1: dvd-burner + dvd drive == windows error *cry* - can't even make it to the loading screen
2: dvd-burner + cd-burner == boot to windows *cheer*
3: dvd-burner + no drive == boot to windows *hoorah*
4: dvd-burner + dvd drive == same windows error - *stabs self in eye*

so my question to you guys is, wth is going on? could it be my power supply? doesn't seem like it ...

Have you tried
Master: dvd-drive
Slave: dvd-burner ?

Also, Even though cables select wasn't the problem, I recommend hard setting the values to master or slave, I find it's just a better habit than letting the computer decide.

that's the way i originally tried it once i started messing with the jumpers... any other ideas? :)

If you can, I'd try with a different brand of DVD drive, it's possible you got one of the unique situations where certain hardware just won't work together.

Back